
不斷上漲
Tim and Lucy are friends. They are chatting.
提姆和露西是朋友。他們在聊天。
Tim: Hey Lucy, have you noticed how tipping has become such a big deal here in America?
提姆:嘿,露西,你有注意到在美國給小費變得如此重要了嗎?
Lucy: Oh yeah, I’ve seen that. It seems like everywhere you go, you’re asked to tip someone.
露西:喔,有啊,我有注意到。似乎你去到哪裡都會被要求給小費。
be asked to do sth.被要求做某事
Tim: Exactly! And not just at restaurants or bars anymore. Even places like hair salons or coffee shops.
提姆:沒錯!而且不只餐廳或酒吧,現在甚至在美髮沙龍或咖啡店也要給小費。
Lucy: Yeah, it’s kind of crazy. But I guess it’s just part of our culture now.
露西:對啊,是有點超過了。不過我想這已經是我們文化的一部分了。
part of…~的一部分
Tim: And the amount of the tip has gone up too. Did you know that in 2023, people are tipping anywhere from 15% to 25%?
提姆:而且小費的金額也漲了。你知道在2023年,人們給的小費從15%到25%不等嗎?
amount(n.)(不可數的)數量、金額number(n.)人數、(可數的)數量go up上升、提高go down下降、減少anywhere from A to B A到B之間的範圍或區間anytime between A to B A到B之間的時間內
Lucy: Wow, that’s a lot. But I guess with everything getting more expensive, people feel like they have to tip more.
露西:哇,那很多呢。但我猜隨著物價越來越高,大家覺得必須多給小費。
with+O+OC(V-ing)表主動
Tim: And with the pandemic, people started tipping for things they never had to before. For example, why would you tip for curbside pickup?
提姆:再加上因為疫情,人們開始為以前不必給小費的服務給小費。比方說,路邊取貨為什麼需要給小費?
pandemic(n.)大規模流行的疾病curbside pickup路邊取貨kerbside(n.)(英)人行道區域、路邊curb(n.)(英kerb)路緣
Lucy: I guess people just want to thank service workers. But it does make me wonder where the tipping point is. Will people start tipping 50% or 100%?
露西:我覺得大家只是想感謝服務業人員吧。但這確實讓我想知道小費的臨界點在哪裡。人們會開始給50%或100%的小費嗎?
tipping point臨界點
Tim: Well, I guess we better start carrying more cash to keep up with all these rising tips!
提姆:嗯,我想我們最好開始多帶點現金,才能跟上不斷上漲的小費啊!
keep up with…跟上rise(v.)上升rising(adj.)不斷上升的
Lucy: Or we could just start tipping with hugs and high-fives instead!
露西:或者我們可以開始改用擁抱和擊掌來給小費!
instead表示替代
Tim: I don’t think the servers will be too happy with that, but it’s a fun idea.
提姆:我想服務員不會太高興,但這是個有趣的想法。
be happy with sth.對某事感到高興或滿意
Lucy: Hey, it’s the thought that counts, right?
露西:嘿,重要的心意,對吧?
It’s the thought that counts.心意最重要
Tim: Absolutely!
提姆:當然!
absolutely(adv.)完全地、絕對地、完全同意(=較強烈的yes)