
一條命250萬元
Mark and Stacey are roommates. They are chatting.
馬克和史黛西是室友。他們在聊天。
Mark: Hey, are you interested in buying an elephant?
馬克:嘿,有興趣買一頭大象嗎?
be interested in doing sth.感興趣
Stacey: What are you talking about?
史黛西:你到底在說什麼?
Mark: A zoo in Thailand is putting eleven elephants up for sale.
馬克:泰國有座動物園要賣掉11頭大象。
put sth. up for sale供販售、出售中、on sale特價中
Stacey: Oh, why?
史黛西:哦,為什麼?
Mark: The zoo has been closed since April due to Covid. They simply can’t afford to keep all the animals.
馬克:由於新冠疫情影響,動物園從四月以來就閉園。他們現在根本養不起所有動物。
since(prep.)自從due to+N.由於afford(v.)負擔起、can afford to do sth.能負擔起、能夠animal(n.)動物
Stacey: Very sad, but I think only zoos can buy elephants since they are protected animals.
史黛西:真是難過,但我想只有動物園才能買大象,因為大象是瀕危動物。
since因為protected(adj.)受保護的、protect(v.)保護
Mark: You’re right. Well, not a single buyer has made an offer so far.
馬克:你說得對。現在還找不到買家。
buyer買方make an offer出價、報價so far目前為止
Stacey: How much is one elephant?
史黛西:一頭大象要多少錢?
Mark: Around NT$2.5 million. It’s not cheap.
馬克:大約250萬新台幣。不便宜。
cheap(adj.)便宜的、expensive(adj.)昂貴的
Stacey: Well, I’m a bit hard up, but I do hope these elephants can find a new home soon.
史黛西:嗯,我最近過得有點拮据,但我真心希望大象們能盡快找到新家。
hard up拮据的、手頭緊的=short of money