
冷靜跟專業
Susan and Harry are mother and son. They are on the phone.
蘇珊和哈利是母子,他們正在講電話。
Susan: Hello? Harry. I’m just checking if everything is alright with you. The power just went out.
蘇珊:喂?哈利,我只是想確認你好不好,剛才停電了。
power (n.)電力The power goes out.= The electricity goes out. 停電
Harry: I am fine, Mom. Thank you for asking. The power is back now.
哈利:我很好,媽。謝謝你的關心。現在復電了。
The power is back.= The power is back on. 復電
Susan: That’s good news. Where are you?
蘇珊:那真是個好消息,你現在人在哪裡?
Harry: I am actually at a student’s string orchestra competition in New Taipei City. My friend, Tammy, was in it, so I came with some friends to show support.
哈利:我正在新北市的學生弦樂團比賽現場,我的朋友譚美要參加比賽,所以我和一些朋友來支持她。
string (n.)線,(樂器的)弦orchestra (n.)管弦樂團competition (n.)比賽support (n.)支持
Susan: Oh, no. Did the blackout happen during her performance?
蘇珊:喔,不,停電是在她表演時發生的嗎?
blackout (n.)停電,斷電performance (n.)表演;perform (v.)表演
Harry: No, not hers, it occurred when students of Chen-Gong Junior High School were playing Britten’s Simple Symphony.
哈利:不,不是她的,是在成功國中學生演奏布列頓的簡易交響曲時停電的。
occur (v.)發生=happensymphony (n.)交響樂,交響曲
Susan: Did they stop?
蘇珊:他們有停下來嗎?
Harry: No, they finished it flawlessly in full dark.
哈利:沒有,他們在暗中完美地完成演奏。
flawlessly (adv.)完美無瑕地
Susan: Wow, they all had their parts memorized! They deserve an award for being so calm and professional.
蘇珊:哇,他們把自己的部分都背起來了!他們的冷靜跟專業值得獎勵。
memorize (v.)記住deserve (v.)值得professional (adj.)職業的,專業的
Harry: Well, the judges agreed with you. Chen-Gong Junior High School was given first place for their outstanding performance.
哈利:評審的想法跟你一致。成功國中因為出色的表現而獲頒優勝獎。
agree with sb. 同意(某人)的意見outstanding (adj.)出色的