
現代醫學與穩定食物
Ted and Zoe are a couple. They are chatting.
泰德和柔伊是一對情侶。他們正在聊天。
Ted: Zoe, do you want to have a baby after we get married?
泰德:柔伊,我們結婚以後你想生小孩嗎?
get married結婚
Zoe: Well, you know I don’t like kids. Some of my friends who are married don’t want to have babies, either.
柔伊:嗯,你知道我不喜歡小孩。我有些已經結婚的朋友也不想生孩子。
Ted: I see. No wonder the birth rate keeps getting lower and lower.
泰德:了解。難怪生育率持續變得越來越低。
birth rate生育率lower(adj.)比較低的
Zoe: Yes. But the world population reached 8 billion this year.
柔伊:是啊。但世界人口在今年到達80億了。
reach(v.)達到
Ted: Really? I remember it just grew to 7 billion 11 years ago.
泰德:真的嗎?我記得十一年前才成長到70億耶。
grow(v.)成長、增多
Zoe: Exactly. Thanks to the development of modern medicine and a stable food supply, humans nowadays can live longer.
柔伊:沒錯。多虧了現代醫學的發展和穩定的食物供給,人類現在能活得更久。
thanks to sth.幸虧、因為某物develop(v.)發展; development(n.)發展modern(adj.)現代的modern technology現代科技; modern art現代藝術; modern medicine現代醫學stable(adj.)穩定的; stable job穩定的工作supply(n.)供給; in short supply短缺
Ted: But since global resources are limited, we might face some problems.
泰德:但因為全球的資源有限,我們可能會面臨到一些問題。
global(adj.)全球的; global problem全球性問題; global warming全球暖化resource(n.)資源limit(v.)(n.)限制; limited(adj.)有限的
Zoe: That’s true. The UN says most of the population growth is from low- and low-middle-income countries.
柔伊:對啊。聯合國說大部分的人口成長來自於低收入或中低收入的國家。
United Nations (= UN)聯合國growth(n.)成長、增多income(n.)收入
Ted: Since the birth rate is falling in high-income countries, those poorer countries will account for the highest percentage of global growth.
泰德:由於高收入國家的生育率下降,那些較窮困的國家在全球人口增長中的佔比會最高。
account for佔~percentage(n.)百分比
Zoe: That leads to the issue of unequal access to resources.
柔伊:那帶出了資源取得不均的議題。
lead to sth.導致某事equal(adj.)相等的unequal(adj.)不相等的、不公平的access(n.)取得