
澳洲野火肆虐
Nathan’s aunt lives in Australia. She invited Nathan and Vicky to go visit her. They are planning their trip.
納森的阿姨住在澳洲。她邀請納森和維琪去拜訪她。他們正在討論行程。
aunt(n.)阿姨
Nathan: We’ll start from Melbourne and then go to Sydney. Where else do you want to go?
納森:我們會從墨爾本開始一路到雪梨。妳還想去哪嗎?
Vicky: Are we going to see some wild animals? Like kangaroos and koalas?
維琪:我們會去看一些野生動物嗎?比方說袋鼠跟無尾熊?
wild animals野生動物、wild(adj.)野生的、狂野的kangaroo袋鼠、platypus鴨嘴獸、wombat袋熊
Nathan: Oh yeah, I didn’t think of that.
納森:噢對,我都沒想到。
Vicky: Wait, I just saw the news. There’s a wildfire going on in Australia right now, and it has even burnt some places where koalas live.
維琪:等等,我剛剛看到新聞。現在澳洲有野火肆虐,甚至侵襲了一些無尾熊棲地。
Nathan: It’s summer down there now. The heat must be making the situation even worse.
納森:現在澳洲是夏天,高溫一定讓火災情況變得更糟。
down there在下面、在南方heat(n.)熱浪make worse更糟、situation(n.)情況
Vicky: Oh no! Hundreds of koalas have died due to the fire. Poor creatures!
維琪:天啊,已經有上百隻無尾熊被燒死了。好可憐!
due to=because of因為、由於+N.poor(adj.)可憐的、creature(n.)生物
Nathan: I’ll call my aunt to see if the fire will affect our trip then.
納森:我打電話跟阿姨確認火災會不會影響到我們的行程好了。
affect(v.)影響
Vicky: The weather forecast is saying that the temperature will drop in the next couple of days. That’ll help the firefighters to put out the fire.
維琪:天氣預報說過幾天溫度會降下來,有助於消防員撲滅火勢。
weather forecast氣象預報temperature(n.)氣溫drop(v.)下降、rise(v.)上升a couple of幾個put out撲滅火勢
Nathan: That’s good news, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing any koalas.
納森:真是好消息,但我想應該看不到無尾熊了。
Vicky: Yeah. So sad.
維琪:沒錯,真難過。