
熱浪來襲
Tom is visiting his friend Matilde in Paris.
湯姆正在巴黎拜訪他的朋友瑪蒂爾德。
Tom: It’s so hot in Paris! Don’t you use air conditioning?
湯姆:巴黎好熱啊!你們不裝冷氣嗎?
Matilde: Not really. Most people here don’t have it at home.
瑪蒂爾德:不太裝耶。我們這裡大多數人家裡都沒裝冷氣。
Tom: Why not? It’s 38°C today!
湯姆:為什麼啊?今天都38度了!
Celsius(n.)攝氏
Matilde: I know! But many French people think AC is bad for the environment.
瑪蒂爾德:我知道!但很多法國人覺得冷氣對環境不好。
environment(n.)環境protect/pollute the environment保護/污染環境environmental(adj.)自然環境的、有關環境的
Tom: Oh, like using too much energy?
湯姆: 喔,是因為太耗電嗎?
energy(n.)能源、能量、體力、精力full of energy精力充沛lack of energy缺乏精力
Matilde: Yes. Also, our buildings are old. It’s not easy to install AC.
瑪蒂爾德: 對啊。而且我們的建築都很老,裝冷氣不太容易。
install(v.)安裝
Tom: That makes sense. But it’s hard to sleep in this heat.
湯姆:這樣也說得通。不過這麼熱真的很難入睡耶。
make sense理解、說得通、有道理heat(n.)熱、熱度heat wave熱浪/heat stroke中暑
Matilde: I agree. I open windows, use fans, and take cold showers to stay cool.
瑪蒂爾德:我也覺得。我會開窗、用電風扇、還會洗冷水澡,來保持涼快。
stay cool保持涼爽、保持冷靜
Tom: So it’s more about habit and eco-thinking?
湯姆:所以是因為習慣和環保的想法嗎?
habit(n.)習慣have/get a habit of...有…的習慣break a habit of…戒掉…的習慣develop a habit of...養成…的習慣eco-thinking(n.)環保思維
Matilde: Exactly. We try to stay cool without hurting the planet.
瑪蒂爾德:沒錯。我們想涼快一點,但也不想傷害地球。
planet(n.)星球
Tom: Still, I think I’d miss AC too much!
湯姆:不過,我還是會超想念冷氣的!
Matilde: You’re not alone. More people are starting to change their minds.
瑪蒂爾德:你不是唯一一個啦。現在也有越來越多人改變想法了。
change one’s mind改變主意