
頭獎飆破14億
Kelvin and Melissa are chatting about the lottery.
凱文和梅莉莎正在聊天討論彩券。
lottery(n.)彩券lottery jackpot彩券頭獎
Kelvin: Hey Melissa, did you buy a Power Lottery ticket? The prize is 1.4 billion!
凱文:嘿,梅莉莎,你有買威力彩嗎?獎金有14億耶!
billion(n.)十億/billionaire(n.)億萬富翁million(n.)百萬/millionaire(n.)百萬富翁
Melissa: Yeah, I did. But you know what? I still don’t get why we have to wait 30 minutes after they stop selling.
梅莉莎:有啊。但你知道嗎?我還是不懂為什麼停售後還要等三十分鐘才開獎。
Kelvin: Right? I was wondering the same thing. Like, it stops at 8 p.m., but the numbers don’t come out till 8:30.
凱文:真的,我也覺得奇怪耶。八點就停售了,可是獎號八點半才公布。
wonder(v.)想知道、納悶come out公布、出現、發表not…until…直到~才~
Melissa: I think it’s because they need time to, you know, check all the data and sales numbers.
梅莉莎:我猜是因為他們要花時間檢查什麼資料啊、銷售金額之類的吧。
data(n.)資料、數據
Kelvin: Ohh, so it’s not just the computer doing everything?
凱文:哦,所以不是只有電腦自己算就好?
Melissa: Nope. They also have people double-check everything — like accountants.
梅莉莎:不是喔。他們還會找人一個一個核對,好像還有會計師幫忙之類的。
have O. VR讓某人做某事accountant(n.)會計師
Kelvin: Hmm, that makes sense, I guess. It’s kind of slow, but at least it’s fair.
凱文:嗯,這樣說好像有道理啦。雖然有點慢,但至少很公平。
make sense合理、說得通kind of有點=a littleat least至少
Melissa: Yeah, and did you know? Some people can actually go and watch the draw in person.
梅莉莎:對啊,而且你知道嗎?有些人還可以去現場看開獎耶。
draw(n.)抽籤、開獎in person親自、親身
Kelvin: What? Really? That sounds kind of cool. We should try that one day.
凱文:蛤?真的喔?聽起來好像滿酷的欸。我們哪天也去看看。
Melissa: Haha, sure! But let’s win something first, okay?
梅莉莎:哈哈,好啊!但先讓我們中個獎再說,好嗎?