
為什麼選舉很重要?
Bob and Emma are walking home after civics class.
鮑伯和艾瑪在上完公民課後走路回家。
civics(n.)公民學
Emma: So, what do you think of the lesson today?
艾瑪:你覺得今天的課怎麼樣?
What do you think of …? 你覺得…怎麼樣?think of覺得、想到take a lesson上課
Bob: It was actually pretty cool. I didn’t realize elections were such a big deal.
鮑伯:其實挺有意思的。我沒想到選舉那麼重要。
realize(v.)意識到、發覺such(det.)如此a big deal重要的事
Emma: Yeah, they really are. Voting lets people choose who leads the country.
艾瑪:對啊,真的很重要。投票讓大家選出領導國家的人。
choose(v.)選擇choose to VR選擇去做lead(v.)帶領、領導(n.)領導地位
Bob: But does my one vote really matter?
鮑伯:但我的一票真的有差嗎?
Emma: It does! If a lot of people think that way and don’t vote, then the results can totally change.
艾瑪:有差!如果很多人都這樣想而不去投票,結果可能會完全不同。
vote(v.)投票result(n.)結果totally(adv.)完全地=completely
Bob: True. I guess it’s better to have a say than to stay quiet.
鮑伯:也是。能表達意見總比沉默好。
have a say有發言權、有表達意見的機會
Emma: Exactly. If we don’t vote, we let others decide for us.
艾瑪:沒錯。如果我們不投票,就是讓別人替我們做決定。
decide(v.)決定
Bob: I’d rather pick someone I trust than let someone else choose.
鮑伯:我寧願自己選一個信任的人,也不要讓別人替我選。
would rather寧願、寧可else(adv.)其他的
Emma: Same here. That’s why elections need to be fair and open.
艾瑪:我也是。所以選舉一定要公平、公開。
fair(adj.)公平的open(adj.)公開的
Bob: When can we vote anyway?
鮑伯:那我們什麼時候可以投票?
anyway(adv.)不管怎樣、反正、到底
Emma: Usually at 20. But it’s good to learn about it now.
艾瑪:通常是20歲。不過現在了解這些也很好。
learn about了解、學習
Bob: For sure. I’m going to ask my parents how they vote.
鮑伯:一定的。我回家要問問爸媽怎麼投票的。