
漁業活動為主凶
Jeff and Elaine are siblings. They are chatting.
傑夫和伊蓮是兄妹。他們正在聊天。
Jeff: Elaine, do you know about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
傑夫:伊蓮,你知道太平洋垃圾帶嗎?
the Pacific Ocean太平洋the Atlantic Ocean大西洋the Indian Ocean印度洋patch(n.)與周圍不同的小塊
Elaine: I do. It’s a collection of marine garbage in the Pacific Ocean.
伊蓮:知道。是太平洋上的一堆海洋垃圾。
collect(v.)收集collection(n.)一堆(東西)marine(adj.)海洋的marine animal海洋動物
Jeff: Yes. A study shows that the main source of the garbage is fishing activities.
傑夫:一項研究顯示垃圾的主要來源是漁業活動。
main(adj.)主要的main course主菜main entrance主要入口
Elaine: Really? I thought it was tiny pieces of plastic debris that make up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
伊蓮:真的嗎?我以為組成太平洋垃圾帶的是微小的塑膠碎片。
tiny(adj.)微小的、極小的plastic(adj.)塑膠的debris(n.)碎片、殘骸make up組成be made up of由~組成
Jeff: No. Over 90% of the garbage is large plastic objects, and half of the garbage consists of fishing nets and ropes.
傑夫:不是。超過90%的垃圾是大型塑膠物品,一半的垃圾是由漁網和繩索組成的。
object(n.)物品、物體A consist of B A是由B組成
Elaine: I know that these plastic products do not break down easily, and they sink to the bottom of the ocean.
伊蓮:我知道這些塑膠製品不容易分解,而且會沉到海底。
break down分解sink(v.)沉沒bottom(n.)底部、底層
Jeff: That’s right. So, researchers carried out the study to find out where and how plastic enters the ocean.
傑夫:沒錯。所以研究人員進行了這項研究以找出塑膠是從哪裡還有如何進到大海的。
carry out實行
Elaine: I guess besides fishing activities, lots of plastic garbage also comes from rivers.
伊蓮:我猜除了漁業活動以外,很多塑膠垃圾也來自河流。
Jeff: Yes. And eventually, it could end up in the human food chain.
傑夫:是的。最後,塑膠可能會進入人類的食物鏈中。
eventually(adv.)最後end up最後處於、以~告終food chain食物鏈
Elaine: That’s horrible.
伊蓮:那真恐怖。