
兩腳穿不同鞋
Kevin and Alice are colleagues. They meet at the office water cooler on Tuesday morning.
凱文和愛麗絲是同事。週二早上他們在辦公室的飲水機旁碰面。
gather around the water cooler聚在一起閒聊
Kevin: Morning, Alice. Wait, are you wearing two different shoes?
凱文:早安,愛麗絲。等等,你怎麼兩腳穿不同的鞋子?
be different from...跟~不同various(adj.)各式各樣的
Alice: Oh, don’t even ask. Yesterday was just a total disaster from start to finish.
愛麗絲:噢,別提了。昨天從頭到尾簡直是一場大災難。
disaster(n.)(自然)災難、搞砸的事natural disaster自然災害landslides(n.)山崩earthquake(n.)地震flood(n.)洪水heat waves熱浪
Kevin: Really? What happened?
凱文:真的嗎?發生了什麼事?
happen(v.)發生
Alice: Well, my alarm didn’t go off, so I overslept big time. I didn’t even have time to brush my teeth properly.
愛麗絲:唉,我的鬧鐘沒響,所以我大睡過頭。我甚至連好好刷牙的時間都沒有。
alarm(n.)鬧鐘go off 響起oversleep(v.)睡過頭properly(adv.)好好地、正確地
Kevin: Ouch, that’s always a terrible start. Did you miss the bus?
凱文:噢,那真的是個糟糕的開始。你錯過公車了嗎?
The start of...……的開始
Alice: Yep. I ran to the station, but it started pouring rain. I forgot my umbrella, so I got completely soaked.
愛麗絲:對啊。我跑到車站,但突然下起暴雨。我忘了帶傘,所以全身濕透了。
pour rain下暴雨、傾盆大雨soaked(adj.)浸透的soaked to the skin濕透到皮膚/soaked to the bone濕透到骨子裡
Kevin: Oh no! Did things get any better at work?
凱文:噢不!那進辦公室後有變好嗎?
at work在工作地點、在工作中
Alice: Not at all. I sat at my desk and spilled coffee all over my clean shirt. Then, my computer crashed right before the meeting.
愛麗絲:完全沒有。我坐在座位上,結果咖啡潑得整件乾淨襯衫都是。接著在會議開始前,我的電腦還直接當機。
spill(v.)潑灑、溢出system failure/system crash系統故障/當機lag(v.)卡頓、延遲freeze(v.)(畫面)定格
Kevin: Wow, you really had a run of bad luck. How did the rest of your day go?
凱文:哇,你真的是接連走霉運。你昨天後來過得怎麼樣?
a run of bad luck接二連三的厄運The tide is turning.時來運轉
Alice: After work, I went to a convenience store to grab dinner. When I opened my bag, I found my lunch box from Sunday — it leaked everywhere.
愛麗絲:下班後,我去便利商店隨便買個晚餐。當我打開包包時,發現了星期天的便當盒——它漏得滿包包都是。
grab(v.)快速抓取leak(v.)漏、滲漏leak out (消息/秘密)走漏、流出
Kevin: That is real bad luck! But hey, you are smiling now.
凱文:那真的是太倒楣了!不過你現在還在微笑呢。
by luck/by chance幸運地、碰巧
Alice: True. At least today can’t be any worse!
愛麗絲:對啊。至少今天不可能更糟了!
at least至少
Kevin: That’s a great attitude. Let’s get to work before anything else goes wrong.
凱文:心態真棒。在發生其他慘事之前,我們快去工作吧。
attitude(n.)態度、心態sb. has an attitude態度傲慢、很不客氣go wrong出錯、發生故障
Alice: Good idea. And I will definitely check my shoes next time!
愛麗絲:好主意。而且我下次絕對會先檢查鞋子!
definitely(adv.)絕對地、一定