
巴納姆效應
Denny and Meg are classmates. They are chatting.
丹尼和梅格是同學。他們正在聊天。
Denny: Meg, Chris just sent an interesting horoscope to me. What’s your star sign? Let’s take a look.
丹尼:梅格,克里斯剛剛傳了一個有趣的星座運勢給我。你的星座是什麼?我們來看。
microscope(n.)顯微鏡telescope(n.)望遠鏡horoscope(n.)星相、星座運勢
Meg: I’m a Leo.
梅格:我是獅子座。
Denny: What? You’re not a Leo. Normally, Leos are passionate and confident, and they like to be leaders. But you don’t like to be in the spotlight.
丹尼:什麼?你才不是獅子座。通常獅子座都很熱情又有自信,他們喜歡當領導者。但你不喜歡被關注。
confident(adj.)自信的、有信心的confidence(n.)信心have confidence in sb.對某人有信心lead(v.)帶領、領導leader(n.)領導者in the spotlight備受關注的、眾所矚目的
Meg: I’m not like a typical Leo. Actually, I don’t believe in that anyway. Do you know the Barnum effect?
梅格:我不像典型的獅子座。其實我也不相信那個。你知道巴納姆效應嗎?
typical(adj.)典型的effect(n.)效果、影響take effect有效、起作用side effect副作用
Denny: What’s that?
丹尼:那是什麼?
Meg: It’s the phenomenon that people believe the personality descriptions such as in horoscopes fit their situations. But in fact, they are general descriptions that can apply to everyone.
梅格:是一種人們相信那些像是在星座運勢中對於他們性格的描述,符合他們狀況的現象。但其實那些都是可以適用於每個人的籠統描述。
phenomenon(n.)現象(複數型: phenomena)personality(n.)性格description(n.)描述describe(v.)描述general(adj.)大致的、籠統的apply to sb. or sth.適用於某人或某物apply(v.)申請
Denny: So, that’s the reason why I think they’re accurate.
丹尼:所以,那就是為什麼我覺得它們很準的原因。
accurate(adj.)準確的、正確的inaccurate(adj.)不準確的
Meg: That’s how I see them.
梅格:我是那樣看它們的。
Denny: Well, it makes sense, but at least reading them is fun.
丹尼:嗯,有道理,但至少看看它們很好玩。
make sense有道理
Meg: I agree. Sometimes I read them, too. But I won’t take them seriously.
梅格:我同意。我有時候也會看。但我不會當真。
take sth. seriously認真看待某物