
為什麼突出一塊?
Lina and Kevin are friends. They are eating at a hot pot restaurant.
莉娜和凱文是朋友。他們正在火鍋店吃飯。
Lina: Hey, um… Kevin, this bowl has like a little part sticking out. Do you know what that’s for?
莉娜:欸,嗯⋯⋯凱文,你有注意到這個碗嗎?它側邊好像突一塊。你知道那是做什麼用的嗎?
stick out突出、伸出
Kevin: Oh yeah, I’ve seen that before. I think it’s for holding the bowl, like… with your thumb.
凱文:喔對,我以前看過。我覺得那是用來拿碗的,就是⋯⋯讓你用拇指扶著。
hold(v.)握住、抓住
Lina: Really? So you don’t burn your fingers?
莉娜:真的喔?這樣手指才不會被燙到嗎?
finger(n.)(尤指除大拇指之外的)手指point a finger at…指向…cross one’s fingers祈求好運
Kevin: Exactly! It’s actually super useful when the soup is hot.
凱文:沒錯!湯很燙的時候,這設計超實用的。
useful(adj.)實用的useless(adj.)無用的
Lina: Huh, I always thought it was for putting your spoon or chopsticks.
莉娜:蛤,我以前一直以為那是拿來放湯匙或筷子的耶。
chopstick(n.)筷子
Kevin: Yeah, some people do that too. But I read something online — it’s called “tonsui.”
凱文:嗯,有些人也這樣用啦。但我在網路上看到說,那種碗叫做「湯碗」。
be V-p.p.被動
Lina: “Tonsui”? That sounds like Japanese.
莉娜:「湯碗」?聽起來像日文欸。
Kevin: It is! I think it’s used for hot pot stuff, like soup and things with broth.
凱文:對啊,是日文!那碗是拿來裝火鍋類的湯啊或是有湯汁的東西。
be used for…被用來作…broth(n.)肉湯
Lina: Oh, so not for rice?
莉娜:哦,所以不是用來裝飯的喔?
Kevin: Nope. There’s a different bowl for rice.
凱文:不是喔。裝飯會用另一種碗。
different from…與…不同
Lina: Got it. I’ve been using it all wrong, haha.
莉娜:原來如此。我之前都用錯了,哈哈。
have/has been V-ing現在完成進行式
Kevin: Same here, don’t worry!
凱文:我也是啦,別在意!
same here我也是、我也一樣