
進步的流逝
Karen and Mason are colleagues. They are having lunch.
凱倫和梅森是同事。他們正在吃午飯。
Karen: My nephew asked me an upsetting question the other day.
凱倫:前幾天我的侄子問我一個令人反感的問題。
upsetting(adj.)反感的、苦惱的the other day某天、前幾天
Mason: What was it?
梅森:是什麼?
Karen: He didn’t know what a receiver was. It shocked me.
凱倫:他不知道什麼是接聽話筒。這讓我好驚訝。
shock(v.)使震驚
Mason: That comes as no surprise. How old is he?
梅森:不足為奇啦。他幾歲了?
come as no surprise一點也不意外
Karen: He is studying in a junior high school. Like, 13?
凱倫:他唸國中,13歲吧。
Mason: He has probably never used a landline before. What do you expect? Even the cartoon characters are using smartphones now.
梅森:他可能從來都沒打過市話。你能指望什麼?連卡通人物都在用智慧手機了。
use(v.)使用landline市話電話expect(v.)期望、預期、expectation(n.)cartoon character卡通人物
Karen: I know. It just made me feel old.
凱倫:我知道。只是讓我覺得老了。
Mason: Don’t worry about it. It just shows how the world is changing.
梅森:不用擔心。世界就是這樣慢慢改變的啊。
Karen: I just never thought that the gap was this huge.
凱倫:我只是從來沒想過差距會如此之大啊。
gap(n.)差距、鴻溝huge(adj.)巨大的