
無法隨時提款
Kurt and Carol are friends. They are chatting.
寇特與卡蘿是朋友,他們在聊天。
Kurt: Hey, what would you do if you have extra money?
寇特:嘿,假如妳有多餘的錢,妳會做什麼?
extra(adj.)額外的
Carol: I’ll consider putting it in a bank as a fixed deposit.
卡蘿:我會考慮存作定存。
consider V-ing=考慮做某事
Kurt: A fixed deposit?
寇特:定存?
Carol: You can think of a fixed deposit as lending money to a bank.
卡蘿:你可以理解成把錢借給銀行。
think of sth. or sb. as=認為某事物或某人…lend(v.)借出;借給lender(n.)貸款人
Kurt: How so?
寇特:怎麼說?
Carol: When you invest in an FD, you become a creditor or an investor of the bank. The bank guarantees to return the invested sum at the end of the tenure and pays you interest for it.
卡蘿:當你把錢存作定存,你便成為銀行的債權人或投資者。銀行保證會在期滿時歸還資金並且付你利息。
invest(v.)投資return(v.)歸還tenure(n.)任期;使用期
Kurt: So, it’s like a kind of investment. But, why don’t I just park my money in a savings account?
寇特:所以像是一種投資囉。但為什麼不要直接存入活期帳戶就好?
park(v.)停泊;擱置
Carol: Because the interest rate on an FD is usually higher than a normal savings account.
卡蘿:因為定存的利率通常比一般活期帳戶高。
interest rate=利率high-higher-highest
Kurt: Can I take out the savings anytime I want?
寇特:那我可以隨時提款嗎?
saving(n.)儲蓄savings(n.)存款
Carol: Generally, the fixed deposits have a maturity period. As an FD holder, you cannot withdraw money from it before it is due, otherwise you will be subject to a penalty on the interest.
卡蘿:定存一般上都有存款期限。作為定存帳戶持有人的你不能在到期前提款,否則會被扣利息。
maturity period=到期期限withdraw(v.)提款due(adj.)預計的;預期的be subject to=遭受某事影響penalty(n.)罰金;罰款