
從挑戰中前進
Lily and Eric are coworkers. They are talking during a coffee break at the end of the year.
莉莉和艾瑞克是同事,在年底的咖啡休息時間聊天。
at the end of…在~的結尾/末端in the end最終、結果是
Lily: This year was really hard for me.
莉莉:今年對我來說真的很不容易。
Eric: I understand. This year was challenging for me too.
艾瑞克:我懂,這一年對我來說也很有挑戰。
Lily: I had a lot of work stress, and I felt tired most days.
莉莉:我工作壓力很大,大部分時間都很累。
stress(n.)壓力=pressurerelieve/reduce stress減輕壓力under stress承受壓力
Eric: That sounds stressful. Did it affect your life outside work?
艾瑞克:聽起來壓力很大,有影響到你下班後的生活嗎?
stressful(adj.)令人有壓力的=full of stressaffect(v.)影響
Lily: Yes, it did. I slept less and worried a lot.
莉莉:有,影響很大。我睡得比較少,也常常擔心。
Eric: I had a similar problem. I worried about my future a lot.
艾瑞克:我也有類似的問題,常常擔心未來。
similar(adj.)相似的、類似的be similar to…跟~相似/be similar in…在(某方面)相似
Lily: What helped you get through the year?
莉莉:那是什麼幫助你撐過這一年的?
get through撐過、度過(困難的時間或情況)
Eric: I learned to take small breaks and talk to friends.
艾瑞克:我學會給自己小休息,也多跟朋友聊天。
Lily: That’s good. I learned to slow down and ask for help.
莉莉:那很好。我學會放慢腳步,也學會求助。
slow down放慢速度speed up加速
Eric: Do you feel you changed after this year?
艾瑞克:你覺得這一年過後你有改變嗎?
Lily: Yes. I’m not as nervous as before, and I feel stronger.
莉莉:有,我不像以前那麼緊張,也覺得自己更堅強。
not as…as…沒有那麼~nervous(adj.)緊張的、不安的jittery(adj.)緊張不安的、心煩意亂的
Eric: Me too. The year was hard, but it taught me a lot.
艾瑞克:我也是。這一年很辛苦,但教會我很多事。
learn one’s lesson the hard way吃苦頭才學到教訓