
關稅約5,000台幣
Lisa is having a conversation with her friend Benson.
麗莎正在和朋友班森對話。
Lisa: Hey, I was about to ship a birthday gift to my cousin in the States.
麗莎:嘿,我正打算寄個生日禮物給我在美國的表弟。
ship(v.)運送、寄送
Benson: You didn’t see the news? Shipping just got way more expensive.
班森:你沒看到新聞嗎?寄東西現在變得超貴。
shipping cost/fee運費delivery fee外送費
Lisa: Really? What happened?
麗莎:真的嗎?發生什麼事?
Benson: The U.S. killed the duty-free rule. Before, anything under $800 was tax-free. Now, every single package gets taxed.
班森:美國取消了免稅規則。以前800美元以下不用課稅,現在每一件包裹都要課稅。
kill the rule廢除、取消規則tax(v.)課稅
Lisa: Wait, even small stuff?
麗莎:等等,連小東西也要嗎?
Benson: Yep. From Taiwan, you’re looking at about $160 in customs. That’s almost NT$5,000.
班森:對啊,從台灣寄,大概要繳160美元關稅,差不多台幣五千。
look at+數量/價格/時間 :大約需要~customs(n.)海關/go through customs通過海關檢查
Lisa: That’s insane. My gift only cost thirty bucks.
麗莎:太扯了吧!我的禮物才三十美元而已。
insane(adj.)非常誇張的、不可思議的buck(n.)美元grand(n.)一千美元
Benson: I know. People are freaking out. Chunghwa Post even stopped taking U.S. packages.
班森:我懂,大家都嚇壞了。中華郵政甚至暫停收美國的包裹了。
freak out嚇壞了
Lisa: So what are my choices?
麗莎:那我還能怎麼寄?
make a choice做出選擇
Benson: DHL, FedEx, UPS… but they’ll charge two or three times more.
班森:只能用DHL、FedEx、UPS,但費用會貴兩三倍。
charge(v.)(n.)收費overcharge(v.)多收費/no charge免費
Lisa: Yikes. Maybe I’ll just send him an e-card instead.
麗莎:唉,那我乾脆寄電子卡片算了。
instead(adv.)取而代之
Benson: Smart move. That’s the cheapest “shipping” ever.
班森:聰明的選擇。那才是史上最便宜的「運送方式」。
smart move聰明的做法、好主意