
忙到沒時間喝咖啡
Kevin is typing quickly in his cubicle and staring at his computer screen. His colleague Alice walks over with her wallet and keys, looking ready for a break.
凱文在自己的辦公室小隔間裡快速打字,一邊盯著電腦螢幕。他的同事愛麗絲拿著錢包和鑰匙走了過來,看起來準備去休息一下。
cubicle(n.)辦公隔間、小隔間stare(v.)盯著看、凝視walk over to…向~走過去walk all over sb.欺負、利用某人
Alice: Hey, Kevin! Step away from the computer. I’m going downstairs to get some coffee, and you really need a break.
愛麗絲:嘿,凱文!快從電腦前起來。我要下樓去喝杯咖啡,你真的需要休息一下。
step away from暫時抽離、離開
Kevin: I’d love to, but look at this mess. Can I take a rain check?
凱文:我很想,但你看看這堆東西。我可以改天再去嗎?
make a mess弄得亂七八糟clean up a mess收拾殘局take a rain check改天再約、下次吧
Alice: Wow, you look really tired today. Okay, I’ll let you off this time, but we’re going tomorrow!
愛麗絲:哇,你今天看起來真的很累。好吧,這次就放你一馬,但明天我們一定要去喔!
let sb. off放過某人let off the hook放過、免責
Kevin: Deal! Coffee is on me tomorrow. I’ll buy you the biggest cup they have.
凱文:一言為定!明天咖啡我請客。我請你喝最大杯的。
sth. is on sb.某人付錢、是某人的責任
Alice: Sounds great! I’m putting it in my calendar right now so you can’t back out.
愛麗絲:太好了!我現在就把這件事記到行事曆裡,這樣你就不能反悔了。
calendar(n.)行事曆、日曆back out反悔、退出
Kevin: Good idea. My brain is fried from all these editing deadlines.
凱文:好主意。這些編輯截稿日搞得我腦袋都快燒壞了。
fried(adj.)很累的、被榨乾的deadline(n.)截止日期、截稿期限be exhausted from…因~而筋疲力盡
Alice: Don’t worry. You’ve got this. You’re a great editor. Just remember to take a deep breath sometimes, okay?
愛麗絲:別擔心,你辦得到的。你可是個很棒的編輯。只是記得偶爾深呼吸放鬆一下,好嗎?
copy editor文字編輯editor in chief總編輯take a deep breath深呼吸breathe(v.)呼吸
Kevin: Thanks, Alice. I appreciate it. Enjoy your coffee!
凱文:謝謝你,愛麗絲。感謝你的關心。好好享受你的咖啡吧!
appreciate(v.)感激、欣賞
Alice: I will! See you later. And try not to fall asleep on your keyboard!
愛麗絲:我會的!待會見。還有,別睡倒在鍵盤上喔!
asleep(adj.)睡著的keyboard(n.)鍵盤
Kevin: Haha, I’ll do my best. See you later!
凱文:哈哈,我會盡力的。待會見!
give it one’s best shot盡力go all out全力以赴