
每週五吃炸魚薯條
Betty and Jim are a couple. They are having a conversation.
貝蒂和吉姆是一對夫妻。他們正在交談。
Betty: Jim, have you heard about the world’s oldest man?
貝蒂:吉姆,你聽說過世界上最長壽的男人嗎?
Jim: Yeah, I came across something about it. His secret to a long life is having fish and chips every Friday. Can you believe that?
吉姆:是的,我有看到一些相關的消息。他長壽的秘訣是每週五吃炸魚薯條。你能相信嗎?
come across sth.偶然發現~secret(n.)秘密、秘訣make no secret毫不掩飾keep sth. secret保密
Betty: It’s quite surprising, but I guess anything is possible. He’s 111 years old after all.
貝蒂:這相當令人驚訝,但我想任何事情都有可能。畢竟他都111歲了。
possible(adj.)可能的possibility(n.)可能性after all畢竟、結果是
Jim: Exactly. It’s amazing to think about all the things he’s been through, like both world wars.
吉姆:確實如此。想想他經歷過的所有事情,真是太驚人了,比如兩次世界大戰。
amazing(adj.)令人驚詫的、驚人的has been through the mill經歷許多困難
Betty: And he can live on his own! He even handles his own money.
貝蒂:而且他還可以照顧自己的生活起居!他甚至自己處理財務。
on one’s own獨自、靠自己handle(v.)處理、負責
Jim: It’s really impressive. I wonder what his daily routine is like.
吉姆:這真是太厲害了。我想知道他的日常生活是怎樣的。
impressive(adj.)令人欽佩的、令人印象深刻的routine(n.)例行公事、常規
Betty: According to the article, he listens to the radio for news and enjoys his fish and chips on Fridays. He doesn’t follow any special diet.
貝蒂:根據文章,他會聽收音機播報新聞,而且每週五都會享用炸魚薯條。他沒有遵循任何特殊的飲食。
diet(n.)日常飲食go on a diet節食a strict diet嚴格的飲食a calorie-controlled diet控制熱量的飲食
Jim: It’s interesting. I thought he would be a vegetarian.
吉姆:真有意思。我還以為他會吃素。
vegetarian(n.)素食者=veggie
Betty: And he has some good advice too. “Always do the best you can,” he says.
貝蒂:而且他還給了一些好建議。他說:「永遠盡力而為」。
advice(n.)意見、忠告、勸告give sb. advice給予他人建議take someone’s advice採取~的建議
Jim: Those are words to live by. We could all learn something from him.
吉姆:這些話值得借鑑。我們都可以從他身上學到一些東西。
live by 依循、奉行
Betty: Absolutely.
貝蒂:那當然。