
飲食西化的影響
Hamilton and Eliza are a couple. They are chatting.
漢彌爾頓和伊萊莎是一對情侶。他們正在聊天。
Hamilton: Eliza, we have had noodles for several days. I want to have some rice today.
漢彌爾頓:伊萊莎,我們已經吃麵吃了好幾天了。我今天想吃飯。
Eliza: Oh, I hadn’t noticed that. OK. Let’s eat fried rice for dinner.
伊萊莎:噢,我沒有注意到。好啊。我們晚餐吃炒飯吧。
fried(adj.)油炸的、油炒的
Hamilton: Have you heard that a study shows that the demand for wheat is increasing?
漢彌爾頓:你有聽說過調查顯示小麥的需求量正在增加嗎?
demand(n.)需求increase(v.)增加、增強; go up上升; climb(v.)增長、攀升decrease(v.)減少; go down下降; drop(v.)降低
Eliza: Why is that?
伊萊莎:為什麼?
Hamilton: Flour is made from wheat, and flour can be used to make many products, including bread, cake, cookies, dumplings, and noodles.
漢彌爾頓:麵粉是由小麥製成的,而麵粉可以被用來做成很多產品,包括麵包、蛋糕、餅乾、水餃,和麵條。
A be made from B A是由B製成的A be made of B A是由B製成的be used to VR被用來做某事; be used to V-ing某人習慣做某事
Eliza: Our eating habits have changed a lot. Rice used to be our staple food.
伊萊莎:我們的飲食習慣改變很大。稻米以前是我們的主食。
habit(n.)習慣get into the habit of doing sth.養成~的習慣get out of the habit of doing sth.打破~的習慣; break the habit of doing sth.改掉~的習慣staple(adj.)主要的
Hamilton: That’s right. The demand for wheat and potatoes hit a record high because of the westernization of our diet.
漢彌爾頓:沒錯。因為我們飲食西化的緣故,小麥和馬鈴薯的需求創新高。
a record high歷史新高; a record low歷史新低western(adj.)西方國家的; westernize(v.)使西化; westernization(n.)西方化
Eliza: It also shows that we have a varied diet.
伊萊莎:那也顯示出我們有著多樣化的飲食。
varied(adj.)各種各樣的
Hamilton: The government has been promoting different types of rice and rice dishes recently. I know there’s a kind of brown rice which has a softer texture than others.
漢彌爾頓:政府最近一直在推廣不同品種的稻米和米食。我知道有一種糙米的口感比其他糙米還要軟。
promote(v.)推廣、促銷brown rice糙米; white rice白米soft(adj.)軟的、柔軟的texture(n.)口感、質地; smooth texture光滑的質地; crispy texture酥脆的口感
Eliza: We should try it sometime.
伊萊莎:我們下次可以吃吃看。