
睡眠不足的影響
It is Thursday evening. Tony is studying in his room.
現在是星期四晚上,湯尼在他房間念書。
study(v.)念書、學習
Mom: Tony, it’s already 11:30. Why aren’t you going to bed?
媽媽:湯尼,現在已經十一點半了,你怎麼還不去睡覺?
already(adv.)已經go to bed睡覺
Tony: I guess that I need to pull an all-nighter. The speech contest is tomorrow.
湯尼:我猜我得開夜車了,明天就是演講比賽了。
pull an all-nighter開夜車that引導的名詞子句當受詞,that可省略
Mom: But you have been preparing for it for three weeks, haven’t you?
媽媽:但是你已經準備了三個星期,不是嗎?
have been+Ving=現在完成進行式
Tony: There is a lot of information to remember. I am afraid my memory will fail me when I get on the stage.
湯尼:有好多資訊要牢記,我擔心一上臺,我就全都忘記了。
information(n.)資訊remember(v.)記住、牢記memory(n.)記憶fail(v.)辜負that引導的名詞子句當受詞,主要子句是現在式,名詞子句可以是任何時態
Mom: You’ve worked hard for the contest. I believe you will do great.
媽媽:你已經為比賽這麼努力了,我相信你會做得好的。
that引導的名詞子句當受詞,that可省略
Tony: Well…I don’t know. I really want to beat Jason this time.
湯尼:嗯⋯我不知道耶,這次我真的很想打敗傑森。
beat(v.)打敗
Mom: The most important thing about this contest is that you’ve learned something and you’ve enjoyed the process. Also, I don’t think lack of sleep will be helpful to your memory.
媽媽:這個比賽最重要的是你學到了一些東西並享受過程,而且我認為睡眠不足對你的記憶力沒有幫助。
that引導的名詞子句當主詞補語,that不可省略process(n.)過程lack of sth.缺乏⋯
Tony: That makes sense. Then, I guess I’ll turn in for the night.
湯尼:有道理,那麼我想上床去睡覺吧。
make sense有道理、合理turn in去睡覺
Mom: Good night, Son. Sleep tight.
媽媽:晚安,兒子,好好睡。
sleep tight睡個好覺
Tony: Good night, Mom. Thanks for the pep talk.
湯尼:晚安,媽媽,謝謝你的打氣。
pep talk打氣、精神喊話