
隱形富豪超多?
Amy and Jerry are friends. They are chatting.
艾咪和傑瑞是朋友。他們正在聊天。
Amy: Hey Jerry, do you know any jobs that earn a lot of money but seem normal?
艾咪:嘿,傑瑞,你知道有哪些工作可以賺很多錢,但看起來很普通嗎?
earn(v.)賺(錢)normal(adj.)普通的、一般的=ordinary
Jerry: Hmm, maybe doctors or engineers?
傑瑞:嗯,也許是醫生或工程師?
Amy: Everyone knows that! But I mean something unexpected.
艾咪:大家都知道那些!但我指的是一些意想不到的工作。
unexpected(adj.)意想不到的、意料之外的expect(v.)預期、預料
Jerry: Oh, like what?
傑瑞:喔,比如說什麼?
Amy: Market vendors! You know, people who sell vegetables, meat, or fish at the market.
艾咪:市場攤販!你知道的,就是那些賣蔬菜、肉或魚的人。
beef(n.)牛肉pork(n.)豬肉mutton(n.)羊肉a pound of…一磅~a piece of…一塊~
Jerry: Really? They don’t look rich.
傑瑞:真的嗎?他們看起來不像很有錢啊。
Amy: That’s the point! Many vendors don’t tell you how much they make, but they make a lot of money.
艾咪:這就是重點!很多攤販不會公開他們的收入,但其實他們賺很多錢。
make a point說明要點a lot of很多的=lots of
Jerry: How much are we talking about?
傑瑞:我們說的是多少錢啊?
Amy: My uncle knows a butcher who earns 500,000 NT dollars a month! And no taxes!
艾咪:我叔叔認識一個賣肉的,他一個月賺五十萬台幣!而且不用繳稅!
butcher(n.)賣肉的人、屠夫tax(n.)稅taxpayer(n.)納稅人
Jerry: Wow, that’s more than some office workers.
傑瑞:哇,那比一些上班族還多耶。
Amy: Exactly! Plus, many of them take over the business from their parents. Some even own several houses!
艾咪:沒錯!而且很多人是接手父母的生意,有些人甚至有好幾棟房子!
take over接手、接管
Jerry: Maybe I should start selling vegetables.
傑瑞:或許我應該開始賣菜了。
Amy: Haha, you’d be great!
艾咪:哈哈,你一定很厲害!