
你是「天選之人」嗎?
Kevin and Alice are at Taoyuan International Airport. They are checking their boarding passes before going through security.
凱文和愛麗絲正在桃園國際機場。他們在通過安檢前檢查登機證。
security(n.)安全、安檢
Kevin: Alice! Look at my boarding pass. There are four letters in the corner: SSSS. What does it mean? “Super Special Smart Star”?
凱文:愛麗絲!妳看我的登機證。角落有四個字母:SSSS。這是什麼意思?「超級特別聰明之星」嗎?
corner(n.)角落in the corner在角落裡(內部)at the corner在街角
Alice: I wish! Actually, it means Secondary Security Screening Selection. It means you are “The Chosen One.”
愛麗絲:想得美!事實上,那是「二次安全檢查」的意思。這代表你是「天選之人」。
secondary(adj.)次要的、第二的(非主要的)screening(n.)篩檢/檢查selection(n.)選擇/select(v.)選擇select A from B從B中選A
Kevin: Oh no! Is it a bad thing? Am I in trouble?
凱文:喔不!這是壞事嗎?我有麻煩了嗎?
Alice: Don’t worry, you didn’t do anything wrong. But airport security will check you again. It’s for flight safety.
愛麗絲:別擔心,你沒做錯事。只是機場安檢會再檢查你一次。這是為了飛行安全。
safety measures安全措施safety standards安全標準
Kevin: What will they do?
凱文:他們會做什麼?
Alice: They will open your carry-on bag and look at everything. One time, they even checked my snacks!
愛麗絲:他們會打開你的手提行李並檢查所有東西。有一次,他們甚至檢查了我的零食!
carry-on bag手提行李、隨身行李
Kevin: Everything? That sounds like a lot of work.
凱文:所有東西?聽起來工程浩大。
Alice: Yes! And they will check your body, too. They use a small piece of paper to wipe your hands and shoes to check for dangerous chemicals. It’s called a “swab test.”
愛麗絲:對!而且他們也會檢查你的身體。他們會用一小張紙擦拭你的雙手和鞋子,檢查是否有危險化學物質。這叫做「抹拭檢驗」。
wipe(v.)擦拭dangerous(adj.)危險的swab(v.)(用棉棒、試紙等)採樣、拭取(檢體)
Kevin: Wow, that’s very strict. Why did they choose me? I bought my ticket last week!
凱文:哇,那真的很嚴格。為什麼會選中我?我上個禮拜才買機票的!
strict(adj.)嚴格的strict diet嚴格飲食控制strict schedule緊湊行程
Alice: That might be why. People who buy one-way tickets or last-minute tickets often get “SSSS.”
愛麗絲:那可能就是原因。購買單程票或臨時訂票的人,常常會拿到「SSSS」。
Kevin: What should I do now?
凱文:那我現在該怎麼辦?
Alice: Two things: Go to the gate early, and be honest. When the officer asks about your trip, just tell the truth.
愛麗絲:兩件事:提早到登機門,還有保持誠實。當官員詢問你的行程時,實話實說就好。
frankly speaking坦白說
Kevin: Okay. I hope they don’t find my underwear!
凱文:好吧。希望他們不會發現我的內褲!
Alice: If they do, they might give you an extra-long check! Good luck, Kevin!
愛麗絲:如果被發現,他們可能會檢查更久喔!祝你好運,凱文!
extra-long(adj.)特別長的