
最佳停止時機
Jane and Spencer are looking for a restaurant to have dinner.
珍和史賓塞正在尋找一家餐廳吃晚餐。
Jane: So many restaurants. What do you want to eat?
珍:好多餐廳。你想吃什麼?
Spencer: This Korean BBQ comes to the forefront.
史賓塞:這家韓國烤肉看起來蠻不錯的。
come to the forefront引人注目
Jane: No, I don’t want to eat spicy food.
珍:不,我不想吃辣的。
Spencer: Let’s just keep looking.
史賓塞:我們繼續看看吧。
keep Ving持續動作
Jane: Yeah, but I think we should figure out when to stop looking before we waste too much time.
珍:好,但是我想應該要設一個停損點,以防浪費太多時間。
figure out想出waste(v.)浪費
Spencer: I think math has the answer to that.
史賓塞:我想數學可以解決這個問題。
math(n.)數學answer(n.)答案
Jane: How come?
珍:怎麼說?
Spencer: It’s called “optimal stopping.” Let’s say there are around 100 restaurants here. We should just pass the first 37% of them and then choose the first one we think is suitable.
史賓塞:這叫做「最佳停止時機法則」。假設這裡大約有100家餐廳,我們應該直接忽略先看到的前37%的餐廳,然後選這之後我們看到第一個合適的餐廳用餐。
Let′s say…假設suitable(adj.)合適的
Jane: Can this be applied to other situations?
珍:這可以適用於其他情況嗎?
apply to應用、apply(v.)申請、應用、塗敷situation(n.)情況
Spencer: Of course. For example, if you are boarding a train and all cars are somehow crowded, just pass up the first 37% of cars and get on the first one with fewer people to find the car with the most empty spots.
史賓塞:當然可以。例如說,現在要上火車,而所有車廂都蠻擁擠的,那就直接忽略前37%的車廂,然後找第一個看起來比較少人的車廂上車,就可以找到空位比較多的車廂。
board(v.)上車car(n.)車廂crowded(adj.)擁擠的empty(adj.)空的spot(n.)座位