
認識自己及歷史文化
Joan and Leonard are a married couple. Their son is taking a Hakka class at school.
喬安與雷納德是對夫妻。他們的小孩正開始在學校上母語課。
married(adj.)結婚的couple(n.)夫妻、情侶、伴侶son(n.)兒子、daughter(n.)女兒take class上什麼課Hakka(n.)客家話
Joan: Do you know our son is the only student taking the Hakka class at school?
喬安:你知道你兒子是全校唯一一個上客家話的小朋友嗎?
Do you know你知道、間接問句請注意主詞動詞位置
Leonard: What’s the matter with that?
雷納德:這怎麼了嗎?
matter(n.)事情、What’s the matter with that?那又怎麼樣?這樣怎麼了嗎?
Joan: I’m worried for him. Kids at school like to pick on people who are different.
喬安:我很擔心。學校的孩子最喜歡欺負與眾不同的小朋友了。
be worried for為誰擔心pick on找麻煩、欺負different(adj.)不一樣
Leonard: I’m sure the teacher will tell us if he picks up on anything out of the ordinary.
雷納德:我相信老師如果有察覺到什麼會跟我們說。
tell(v.)告訴pick up發現ordinary(n.)平常、平凡、out of the ordinary不尋常的
Joan: I’m truly glad that he is learning Hakka.
喬安:我真的很高興她開始學客家話。
truly(adv.)真正地
Leonard: You should be. Hakka is your mother tongue and his as well.
雷納德:應該的。那是妳的母語,也是他的母語呀。
as well也=also
Joan: I would really love to see him talking to my mother in the language she understands one day.
喬安:我真的很想看到有一天他能用著我媽媽能理解的語言跟她說話。
would love to樂意see感官動詞+動名詞、動詞原型in+語言
Leonard: That’s true. Even I can’t understand what your mother says sometimes.
雷納德:沒錯,甚至我有時候也不聽不太懂妳媽在講什麼。
even(adv.)就連、甚至sometimes(adv.)有時候、頻率副詞
Joan: That’s why it’s so important to learn our mother tongue. It gives us a chance to know more about the history and culture of this island and, most importantly, to learn about ourselves.
喬安:所以學習母語才這麼重要。給我們一個機會去好好認識我們這座島的歷史以及文化,更重要的是,去了解我們自己。
give someone a chance to有個機會去history(n.)歷史culture(n.)文化most importantly最重要的是
Leonard: Totally. It is everyone’s right to learn their mother tongue. No one should ever take that away.
雷納德:對,學習母語是人們的權利,沒有人可以奪走。
totally=of course當然、沒錯right(n.)權利take away拿走