
難敵丹娜絲!
Emily and Ryan are friends. They are having a conversation.
艾蜜莉和萊恩是朋友。他們正在對話。
Emily: Hey, Ryan! Did you hear the temple gate in Tainan collapsed?
艾蜜莉:嘿,萊恩!你有聽說台南那座廟的牌樓倒塌了嗎?
Ryan: Yeah... It’s true. That was the gate at Nankunshen Daitian Temple, my hometown.
萊恩:對啊,是真的。那是我家鄉南鯤鯓代天府的牌樓。
birthplace出生地
Emily: No way! That gate looked so strong in your pictures!
艾蜜莉:真的假的!你照片裡的牌樓看起來很堅固耶!
strong(adj.)堅固的strong material(堅固的材料)sturdy(adj.)結實的、耐用的
Ryan: It was strong, made of thousand-year-old cypress wood. But the typhoon was too powerful.
萊恩:它真的很堅固,用千年檜木做的,但颱風太強了。
be made of…由...製成(看得出原材料)be made from...由⋯製成(看不出原材料)wood(n.)木材、木頭powerful(adj.)有力量的、強大的
Emily: That’s so sad. Is everyone okay there?
艾蜜莉:好難過喔。那邊的人都還好嗎?
Ryan: Yeah, everyone is safe. But the gate was an important part of the temple for 40 years.
萊恩:大家都平安,但那個牌樓是廟裡很重要的部分,已經有40年歷史了。
be safe from…免於⋯危險safe and sound平安無事a part of…~的一部分
Emily: I hope they can rebuild it soon!
艾蜜莉:我希望他們能快點重建!
rebuild(v.)重新建造
Ryan: They said they will rebuild it stronger. I’ll take you to see it when it’s done.
萊恩:他們說會用更好的材料重建。蓋好後我帶你去看!
done(adj.)完成的=finished/completedbe done with…完成…
Emily: Perfect! I just hope we don’t get caught in another typhoon when we visit!
艾蜜莉:太好了!我只希望我們去的時候不要又遇到颱風!
get caught in~被困在~
Ryan: Me too! Let’s hope for good weather and a safe visit.
萊恩:我也是!希望天氣好,我們能平安去看。
visit(n.)拜訪、參觀pay a visit to...前往拜訪…short/brief visit短暫的拜訪