
最年輕選手!
After school, Eric and Nina talk excitedly about the news.
放學後,艾瑞克和妮娜興奮地討論這則新聞。
Eric: Hey Nina, did you see the news? An 18-year-old Taiwanese athlete won a silver medal at the Tokyo Deaflympics!
艾瑞克:嘿,妮娜,你有看到新聞嗎?有位18歲的台灣選手在東京聽奧拿到銀牌耶!
athlete(n.)運動員win a medal贏得獎牌
Nina: Yes! His name is Wei Yu-Ze. I can’t believe he’s only 18.
妮娜:有!他叫危宇澤。我超驚訝他才18歲。
Eric: And it was his first adult international decathlon. That’s amazing.
艾瑞克:而且那是他第一次參加成人組的國際十項全能比賽,真的超強。
adult(n.)成人young adult青少年decathlon(n.)男子十項全能(比賽)
Nina: I read that he was the youngest athlete in the decathlon, but he still stayed calm and focused.
妮娜:我看到他是十項全能裡最年輕的選手,但他一直保持冷靜、很專注。
stay focused on…專注於~focus on…專注於~
Eric: Yeah, and he even hurt his foot during pole vault. But he still finished all ten events.
艾瑞克:對,而且他在撐竿跳時腳還受傷,但他仍然完成了全部十項。
pole vault撐竿跳高vault(v.)跳躍、躍過event(n.)比賽項目、事件、活動
Nina: That’s real determination. It makes me feel like I should try harder in my own goals.
妮娜:那才是真正的毅力。讓我覺得自己也應該更努力達成目標。
determination(n.)決心、毅力、堅定的意志personal goal個人目標/common goal共同目標
Eric: Same here. If he can handle two days of really hard competition, we can handle our schoolwork, too.
艾瑞克:我也這樣想。如果他能撐過兩天的辛苦比賽,我們也可以應付學校的功課。
handle(v.)應付、處理competition(n.)比賽、競賽
Nina: Right. His story shows that age doesn’t matter if you work hard.
妮娜:對。他的故事證明,只要努力,年紀不是問題。
doesn’t matter不要緊、不重要
Eric: Let’s cheer for him. And maybe… start working on our own dreams too.
艾瑞克:讓我們為他加油吧。也許⋯⋯也該開始努力追自己的夢了。
cheer for sb.為某人加油、打氣cheer on sb.鼓勵某人(強調過程中)
Nina: Agreed. His silver medal feels like a reminder to keep going.
妮娜:同意。他的銀牌就像是在提醒我們,要繼續堅持下去。
reminder(n.)提醒set a reminder設定提醒carry on V-ing/with+N.繼續做、堅持