
重要日子的發聲
Max and Emily are friends. They are chatting.
邁克斯和艾蜜莉是朋友。他們正在聊天。
Max: Emily, Starbucks is offering a buy one, get one free promotion today. Are you up for some coffee?
邁克斯:艾蜜莉,今天星巴克有買一送一的促銷活動。要不要去那裡喝杯咖啡?
promote(v.)促銷promotion(n.)促銷、宣傳
Emily: I’m guessing there will be a long line. I used to work there, and it’s our busiest day.
艾蜜莉:我猜一定排隊排很長。我以前在那裡工作,這是我們最忙的日子。
line(n.)隊伍used to VR過去~busy-busier-the busiest
Max: Oh, I almost forgot that you used to work for Starbucks.
邁克斯:噢,我差點忘記你之前在星巴克工作。
Emily: Do you know that workers at some of the stores in the US went on strike on Red Cup Day?
艾蜜莉:你知道美國一些星巴克門市的員工在紅杯日罷工嗎?
on strike參與罷工
Max: What is Red Cup Day?
邁克斯:紅杯日是什麼?
Emily: Customers receive a free reusable cup if they order a certain beverage. It’s an important day for Starbucks, and the workers held a strike on this day to show that they were not playing around.
艾蜜莉:顧客如果點了特定的飲料,就可以得到一個免費的環保杯。這對星巴克來說是很重要的日子,員工在這天罷工表明了他們不是在胡鬧。
receive(v.)得到、收到usable(adj.)可用的、能用的; reusable(adj.)可重複使用的beverage(n.)飲料play around胡鬧、亂搞
Max: Why did they go on strike?
邁克斯:他們為什麼罷工呢?
Emily: They said the company refused to talk with the union about providing reasonable paychecks and hiring more employees.
艾蜜莉:他們說公司拒絕和工會商談有關提供合理薪資以及增聘員工的條件。
refuse(v.)拒絕、回絕; refuse to do sth.拒絕做某事union(n.)聯合、工會reasonable(adj.)合理的paycheck(n.)工資; salary(n.)薪水hire(v.)雇用employ(v.)雇用; employee(n.)員工; employer(n.)雇主
Max: I see. So, they decided to take part in the strike and stand up for each other.
邁克斯:我懂了。所以他們決定參加罷工來為彼此發聲。
take part in參加; participate in參加stand up for sb. or sth.支持某人、維護想法
Emily: That’s right. Hopefully, the company will face up to the problem.
艾蜜莉:沒錯。希望公司能夠正視這個問題。
face up to sth.接受、正視某事