
打斷睡眠週期
Kevin and Becky are neighbors. They are talking.
凱文和貝琪是鄰居。他們正在說話。
Kevin: Good morning, Becky. Your alarm clock went off several times this morning. I could hear it from next door.
凱文:早安,貝琪。你的鬧鐘今天響了好幾次。我在隔壁都聽到了。
go off(警報器)發出聲響
Becky: Sorry, did it bother you? I’m a heavy sleeper, so I usually set many alarms to wake up.
貝琪:很抱歉,打擾到你了嗎?我睡得很沉,所以我通常會設好幾個鬧鐘來叫我起床。
bother(v.)打擾heavy sleeper睡很沉的人light sleeper淺眠的人
Kevin: But it might not be good for you.
凱文:但那可能對你不太好。
Becky: Why?
貝琪:為什麼?
Kevin: Because if your sleep cycle isn’t finished, you might find it difficult to pay attention, and you lack focus at work. And that is bad for your performance.
凱文:因為如果你的睡眠週期無法完成,你可能會發現很難集中注意力,在工作上無法專心。而且也會表現不好。
cycle(n.)循環、週期attention(n.)注意lack(v.)(n.)缺乏performance(n.)表現
Becky: Oh. I see. Though setting multiple alarms wakes me up, I get tired easily and sleepy.
貝琪:噢,我懂了。雖然設定好幾個鬧鐘讓我醒來,但我很容易覺得疲倦又想睡。
Kevin: Also, waking up with a jerk might increase the risk of high blood pressure and heart attack.
凱文:而且猛然驚醒可能會提高了高血壓和心臟病發的風險。
jerk(n.)猛然一動、頭腦簡單的人risk(n.)風險heart attack心臟病發作
Becky: That’s horrible. But I’m still afraid that I’ll sleep in and be late for work.
貝琪:那真可怕。但我還是害怕我會賴床然後上班遲到。
sleep in賴床
Kevin: You could go to bed earlier. Trust me, you’ll be full of energy tomorrow.
凱文:你可以早點睡。相信我,你隔天會活力滿滿。
trust(v.)信任、相信be full of sth.充滿某物energy(n.)精力、活力
Becky: Thanks. I’ll try to do that.
貝琪:謝了。我會試著那樣做。