
水庫快見底
Jim and Mona are siblings. They are talking.
吉姆和莫娜是兄妹。他們正在聊天。
Jim: Mona, why don’t you turn off the tap?
吉姆:莫娜,你為什麼不把水龍頭關上?
tap(n.)水龍頭
Mona: I haven’t finished washing my hands.
莫娜:我還沒洗完手。
Jim: You should turn off the tap when soaping your hands, or you’ll waste lots of water. Saving water is important, especially since we have less rain this year.
吉姆:你應該在抹肥皂的時候把水龍頭關起來,不然會浪費很多水。省水很重要,尤其今年雨量較少。
soap(v.)抹肥皂waste(v.)浪費little-less-the least
Mona: I heard that a typhoon is coming.
莫娜:我聽說颱風要來了。
Jim: No. The news said the typhoon won’t make landfall. The reservoirs in central and southern Taiwan are drying up.
吉姆:沒有。新聞說颱風不會登陸。台灣中部和南部的水庫都快見底了。
make landfall登陸reservoir(n.)水庫central(adj.)中央的southern(adj.)南部的northern(adj.)北部的western(adj.)西部的eastern(adj.)東部的dry up乾涸
Mona: What will happen then?
莫娜:那會怎麼樣?
Jim: We might face water rationing, and that’s very inconvenient.
吉姆:可能會制水,那很不方便。
ration(v.)(n.)實行配給、配給量water rationing制水inconvenient(adj.)不方便的convenient(adj.)方便的
Mona: Oh, no. I hope that a typhoon can bring us some rain.
莫娜:噢,不。希望有颱風可以帶來一些雨。
bring(v.)帶來bring sb. sth.帶給某人某物
Jim: I think a mild typhoon would be enough. After all, we don’t want it to cause a flood. Anyway, it is better not to waste water.
吉姆:我想輕颱就夠了。畢竟,我們也不想颱風造成淹水。不管怎樣,最好還是不要浪費水。
mild(adj.)輕微的、和緩的moderate typhoon中颱severe typhoon強颱cause(v.)導致flood(n.)淹水、洪水it is better not to do sth.最好不要做某事
Mona: You’re right. I’ll never leave the tap running again.
莫娜:你說得沒錯。我再也不開著水龍頭不關了。