
防止地球繼續暖化
Rick just came back from a seminar on climate change. He is sharing what he learned with his friend, Morris.
瑞克剛從一個氣候變遷研討會回來,他正在跟好友莫里斯分享他學到的事。
seminar(n.)研討會climate change氣候變遷share(v.)分享+with
Morris: How was the seminar? Did you learn anything new?
莫里斯:研討會如何?有學到什麼新的東西嗎?
Rick: Yes! I didn’t know climate change was this bad.
瑞克:有啊!我都不知道氣候變遷那麼嚴重。
Morris: What do you mean?
莫里斯:怎麼說?
Rick: They showed us a picture of a polar bear eating its cub.
瑞克:我看到一張北極熊吃小熊的照片。
cub(n.)小熊、幼獸
Morris: Oh my! Why did the polar bear eat its own cub?
莫里斯:天啊!為什麼要吃小熊?
Rick: The lecturer said it’s because the polar bear could not find food. As temperatures rise and ice melts, it’s harder for polar bears to hunt seals in the water.
瑞克:講者說因為找不到食物的關係。溫度持續上升,冰層一直融化,讓北極熊越來越難獵食海豹。
lecturer(n.)講者as隨著temperature(n.)溫度rise(v.)上升、drop(v.)下降melt(v.)融化hunt(v.)狩獵seal(n.)海豹
Morris: So the polar bear had no choice but to eat its own cub.
莫里斯:所以北極熊別無選擇只好吃自己的寶寶。
have no choice but to RV別無選擇只能
Rick: Sadly, yes. Scientists say that there are more and more similar cases because there is a lack of food.
瑞克:很令人難過,但沒錯。科學家說已經發現越來越多因為食物短缺而狩獵小熊的案例。
sadly(adv.)難過地similar(adj.)相似的a lack of+N.缺乏
Morris: That’s horrible.
莫里斯:也太可怕。
Rick: Exactly! We should take action to stop global warming from getting worse.
瑞克:沒錯,我們應該盡快採取行動來防止地球繼續暖化。
take action採取行動get worse=worsen變更壞、惡化