
舔毛危機
Sharon and Cyrus are at a pet store.
雪倫和賽勒斯正在一間寵物店。
Sharon: I need some cat litter. You, some dog food, right?
雪倫:我需要貓砂,而你需要狗飼料,對吧?
litter(n.)貓砂
Cyrus: Yup! Let’s go get our own thing and meet at the counter, ok?
賽勒斯:是的,我們去拿自己的東西然後在櫃台見,好嗎?
own(det.)自己的counter(n.)櫃檯
Sharon: Sure! See you later.
雪倫:當然,待會見。
sure(adv.)當然later(adv.)晚些時候
Cyrus: You know what? I think I have to quit smoking.
賽勒斯:妳知道嗎?我想我必須要戒菸了。
quit(v.)停止、放棄
Sharon: That’s a good thing, but why?
雪倫:那是好事啊,但是為什麼呢?
Cyrus: I just realized that second-hand and third-hand smoke is really bad for pets.
賽勒斯:我剛剛才知道二手菸和三手菸對寵物很不好。
just(adv.)剛剛、剛才realize(v.)意識到、明白second-hand(adj.)二手的、用過的smoke(n.)煙、煙霧really(adv.)非常、很
Sharon: Is it? Tell me more about it.
雪倫:真的嗎?再多說一些。
Cyrus: While pets are licking their fur, the third-hand smoke on their fur will be licked into their body. The risk of getting oral cancer is thus much higher.
賽勒斯:當寵物在舔毛時,毛上面的三手菸會被舔進身體裡;得到口腔癌的風險也因此更高了。
while(conj.)在…的時候lick(v.)舔、舐fur(n.)毛、毛皮risk(n.)風險oral(adj.)口的、口腔的cancer(n.)癌症thus(adv.)因此、從而high(adj.)高的
Sharon: I noticed that sometimes pets cough. Is it because of the second-hand smoke?
雪倫:我有注意到寵物有時候會咳嗽;那是因為二手菸的緣故嗎?
notice(v.)看到、注意到cough(v.)咳嗽
Cyrus: It almost is. Vets say that if the pet’s owner smokes, inevitably, both the pet and the owner will cough. What’s worse, the health risks of e-cigarettes for pets are pretty high.
賽勒斯:幾乎可以說是。獸醫說如果寵物的主人抽煙,寵物和主人不可避免的都會咳嗽。更糟的是,電子菸對寵物的健康風險也相當高呢!
almost(adv.)幾乎、差不多vet(n.)獸醫if(conj.)假如、如果owner(n.)主人、擁有者inevitably(adv.)不可避免地worse(adj.)更糟的、更壞的health(n.)健康e-cigarette(n.)電子煙pretty(adv.)非常、很
Sharon: Then indeed, you should stop smoking.
雪倫:那你的確該戒菸了。
indeed(adv.)的確、確實