
英國首相有前例
John and Amanda are colleagues. Amanda is preparing for a presentation.
約翰和亞曼達是同事。亞曼達正在準備報告。
prepare for sth.準備presentation(n.)報告
John: Are you all set for the big show tomorrow?
約翰:準備好明天的大報告了嗎?
all set萬事俱全
Amanda: Not quite. What if I can’t find the right paragraph to carry on? Won’t it be awkward?
亞曼達:還沒呢。如果我中間找不到對的段落繼續講下去怎麼辦?不會很尷尬嗎?
paragraph(n.)段落carry on繼續awkward=embarrassing(adj.)尷尬的
John: You can talk about Peppa Pig.
約翰:你可以把話題帶到佩佩豬。
bring up a subject提到話題
Amanda: What? Knock it off!
亞曼達:什麼?不要搞笑!
knock it off=cut it out別鬧
John: I mean it. That’s what the English Prime Minister did when he had the same problem.
約翰:我是認真的。之前英國首相遇到同樣問題時,他就是這麼做的。
I mean it.說真的、認真的Prime Minister首相、總理problem(n.)問題
Amanda: Oh, I don’t think I can keep up with the same style.
亞曼達:哦,我想我沒辦法用同樣的風格。
keep up with sb.跟上腳步style(n.)風格
John: I’m only kidding. That would look pretty bad.
約翰:我只是在開玩笑。那看起來會很糟糕。
kid(v.)開玩笑
Amanda: Right! All the managers and the boss will be there.
亞曼達:沒錯!所有經理和老闆都會在場呢。
John: Well, I’ll leave you to it. Good luck.
約翰:好吧,我就不打擾你了。祝你好運。
leave sb. to it不打擾、讓別人繼續忙