
恐懼勝毒果
Tommy and Vera are roommates. Vera is going out.
湯米和薇拉是室友。薇拉要出去了。
Tommy: Are you going to the supermarket?
湯米:你要去超市嗎?
Vera: Yes, and I’ll go pick up a package as well.
薇拉:對唷,我也要順路去取包裹。
pick up a package取貨
Tommy: Could you also buy some mangoes for me?
湯米:幫我買些芒果好嗎?
Vera: No need. I’m picking up the mangoes that I ordered from a farmer in Pingtung.
薇拉:不需要啦。我正是要去拿我跟屏東農民訂的芒果。
farmer(n.)農夫、farm(n.)農場
Tommy: I heard many people have canceled their orders out of fear of the Delta variant of the coronavirus.
湯米:我聽說很多人因為害怕Delta病毒就取消了訂單。
out of fear出於恐懼、out of curiosity出於好奇心fear(n., v.)恐懼variant變種
Vera: That’s true. It has dealt a heavy blow to the local farmers, but no one has gotten the virus by touching the fruits.
薇拉:取消訂單是真的。這也對當地農民造成沉重打擊,但其實根本沒有透過接觸水果感染病毒的案例啊。
deal a blow to sb. or sth.打擊、使之失敗、deal-dealt-dealt(v.)heavy(adj.)沉重的、劇烈的、heavy snow大雪、a heavy drinker酒癮重的人by+Ving藉由touch(v.)接觸
Tommy: Poor farmers. They must be having a hard time.
湯米:可憐的農民。他們一定很難過。
have a hard time處境困難
Vera: So I want to support them.
薇拉:所以我想要支持他們。
support(v., n.)支持
Tommy: I know. “One island, one life.”
湯米:我知道,同島一命。
island(n.)島嶼
Vera: You’re right, and I bet the mangoes will be sweet and delicious.
薇拉:你說得對,我敢打賭那些芒果一定很甜很美味。
bet(v.)打賭