
產生違約金
Jane is having lunch with Ben. She just remembered she has to pay her credit card bill.
珍和本在吃午餐。她想起要繳信用卡卡費。
utility bill 水電瓦斯費的帳單
Jane: Oh no! The due date for my credit card bill payment is today!
珍:哦不,今天是我信用卡的繳費期限。
due(adj.)預期的;預計的
Ben: Go ahead and pay it now.
本:那就去繳費啊。
Jane: I don’t have enough money in my account right now…
珍:我的帳戶裡沒那麼多錢⋯⋯
Ben: Well, you can always make a partial payment.
本:那妳可以先繳一部分的卡費。
Jane: What’s the catch?
珍:有那麼好的事?
what’s the catch 覺得事有蹊蹺、有不為人知的內幕
Ben: If you make a partial payment for your credit card balance, you won’t get hit with a late fee, but you will be charged interest.
本:如果只繳一部分卡費就不會產生違約金,但銀行會收取利息。
charge(v.)收費be charged with 被控…
Jane: How much would that be?
珍:那會是多少?
Ben: In some cases, it could be up to nearly 30%.
本:有時候會高達30%。
Jane: Wow! That would add a lot to my balance.
珍:哇,那我的帳單會多出不少費用欸。
balance(n.)餘額;結存
Ben: The rate is determined by a number of factors, such as your credit score and the bank’s risk of offering credit.
本:利率的高低取決於信用評分及銀行借貸的風險等因素。
determine(v.)決定;影響credit score 信用評分risk(n.)風險
Jane: I should pay off this balance before I get into more debt.
珍:在我欠下更多債務前,我應該先還清這筆錢。
pay off 還清pay down 償還部分欠款debt(n.)債務debtor(n.)債務人run up debts 積欠債務be in debt 負債