
台南人的金棺材
Lee and Gwen are watching the news on TV. The news footage shows the supermodel Lin Chi-ling tying the knot in Tainan.
李和格溫正在看新聞。新聞正在播超級名模林志玲結婚的消息。
news footage新聞片段tie the knot結婚
Gwen: Oh, she looks so beautiful in that wedding gown!
格溫:噢,她穿著結婚禮服好美。
wedding gown結婚禮服
Lee: Totally! And she is from Tainan, so the dowries must be impressive.
李:對啊!而且她是台南人,她的嫁妝一定很驚人。
impressive(adj.)印象深刻的、厲害的
Gwen: Why’s that?
格溫:為什麼?
Lee: You know the phrase “Oxcart full of dowries,” right? It’s pretty much talking about Tainan. Rich families there take dowries very seriously. It’s a way for them to show off their wealth.
李:你知道那句話:「嫁妝一牛車。」講的就是台南。那裡的大戶望族把嫁女兒時的嫁妝看的很重要,那是一個顯示家族財力顯赫的象徵。
phrase片語pretty much簡直take sth. seriously很看重show off炫耀、彰顯wealth財富、fortune幸運獲得的可觀財富=great wealth
Gwen: I’ve heard that some parents even have a golden coffin made for their daughter, right?
格溫:我聽說有些人還會給新娘金棺材,對嗎?
have sth. made for為了誰做golden黃金的coffin棺材=casket、cufflink袖扣
Lee: Yes, it’s like a message to the groom’s family saying, “We’ve even got our daughter’s coffin covered, so don’t worry about money!”
李:沒錯,那就像是給夫家一個訊息說:「我們連女兒的棺材錢都有了,錢就別擔心了。」
message訊息groom新郎、bride新娘got it covered弄得妥當
Gwen: I don’t even know how much my family will be able to afford for my wedding.
格溫:我都不知道我家能負擔多少婚禮開銷。
afford(v.)付得起
Lee: Come back down to earth. You need to get a husband first.
李:別幻想了。你要先找到一個老公。
come back down to earth=get real現實一點husband老公
Gwen: That’s true.
格溫:這倒是。
Lee: Anyway, getting a golden coffin on your wedding day is kind of weird if you ask me.
李:而且我覺得在大喜之日收到金棺材還是很奇怪。
weird奇怪if you ask me=in my opinion我認為