
積習難改
John and Amy are talking about bad habits.
約翰和艾咪正在聊壞習慣。
John: Amy, you’re doing it again.
約翰:艾咪,妳又做了!
Amy: Doing what?
艾咪:做什麼?
John: Biting your fingernails.
約翰:咬妳的指甲!
bite(v.)咬fingernail(n.)手指甲
Amy: Oh shoot! I didn’t realize I was doing it. I’ve been trying to stop, you know.
艾咪:噢該死!我沒意識到我在咬耶!我一直嘗試要改掉。
shoot(excl.)該死、媽的realize(v.)意識到try(v.)嘗試、試圖
John: That’s alright. I used to bite my fingernails too when I was younger. Old habits die hard — It can be really difficult to change your ways.
約翰:沒關係。在我更年輕時,過去也習慣咬指甲。積習難改—要改變方式真的很難!
when(conj.)當…時change(v.)改變way(n.)方法、方式
Amy: It really can. Did you have any other habits? You know, bad things that you did all the time without noticing.
艾咪:真的是耶!你有其它壞習慣嗎?你知道的,就是那些你總是沒有注意到你在做的壞的事情。
time(n.)時間all the time不停、一直without(prep.)沒有、無notice(v.)注意到、感覺到
John: Yes, when I was a student I used to stay up late watching TV shows. Sometimes I would watch it until 4am and then get up at 7am. I used to feel tired all the time.
約翰:有啊,當我是學生時,我習慣熬夜看電視節目。有時候我會看到凌晨四點然後在七點起床。我以前總是覺得疲累。
stay up熬夜show(n.)節目、演出
Amy: So what did you do?
艾咪:那你怎麼做?
John: I started exercising in the morning, which made me sleepy much earlier in the evening. That really helped me turn off the television.
約翰:我開始在早上運動,這使我傍晚時更早就想睡;那真的幫助我關掉電視呢!
exercise(v.)運動make(v.)造成、導致sleepy(adj.)睏倦的turn off關掉
Amy: It works, doesn’t it? I used to exercise in the morning too, but then I got lazy.
艾咪:那有用,對吧?我以前也習慣在早上運動,但我接著就變得懶惰了。
work(v.)有效、成功get(v.)變得、變成lazy(adj.)懶的、懶惰的
John: Haha! It’s hard to get rid of bad habits, but it’s also hard to keep up the good ones.
約翰:哈哈!要甩掉壞習慣很難,但要保持好習慣也很難呀!
get rid of丟棄、擺脫keep up繼續保持、堅持下去