
50%的加薪
Hank and Karen are studying at the same university. They are chatting.
漢克和凱倫上同一所大學。他們在聊天。
Hank: Did you know that some of our courses will be taught in native languages next semester?
漢克:你知道下學期一些課程會用母語授課嗎?
course(n.)課程teach-taught(v.)教導
Karen: That’s good news, but why?
凱倫:這是個好消息,但為什麼呢?
Hank: The university hopes to encourage more people to learn and use these languages, such as Taiwanese, Hakka, indigenous tongues, the dialect from Matsu, and so on.
漢克:校方希望鼓勵更多的人學習和使用這些語言,比如說台語、客家話、原住民各族語言、馬祖語等等。
encourage sb. to do sth.鼓勵indigenous原生的、本土的dialect(n.)方言and so on=and so forth諸如此類
Karen: Would professors be willing to do so?
凱倫:教授們會願意這樣做嗎?
be willing to do sth.有意願
Hank: I think so. They will get a 50% raise if they choose to teach in any of the languages. The same goes for those who teach classes in English.
漢克:我想是的。開課的教授可以獲得50%的加薪。以英語授課的教授也是一樣的。
The same goes for...也是一樣
Karen: Wow. I need to brush up on my Hakka then.
凱倫:哇。那我得好好練練我的客家話了。
brush up on a skill增進技能
Hank: I didn’t know that you speak Hakka.
漢克:我不知道你會說客家話。
Karen: Well, I grew up in Miaoli. I speak to my grandma in Hakka.
凱倫:嗯嗯,我在苗栗長大。我跟阿婆都用客家話溝通。
Hank: It’s time to practice then. I have to polish up my Taiwanese as well.
漢克:那是時候來好好練習。我也必須精進我的台語了。
practice(v.)練習polish up=improve(v.)增進
Karen: You bet!
凱倫:沒錯啊!