
體面的紳士
Ian and Tom are colleagues. They are chatting.
伊恩和湯姆是同事。他們在聊天。
Ian: I was thinking about what to get for my father’s birthday.
伊恩:我在想給爸爸的生日禮物。
birthday生日
Tom: Are you guys close?
湯姆:你們感情好嗎?
close(adj.)親密的、靠近的
Ian: Yeah. My dad wore many hats to look after me when I was a kid.
伊恩:很好。我小的時候,我爸爸身兼數職來照顧我。
look after照顧
Tom: Why is that?
湯姆:為什麼?
Ian: My mom was not around. She passed away when I was just a baby.
伊恩:我媽媽不在。她在我很小時候就去世了。
around(adj.)在身邊pass away=die逝世
Tom: Oh. So sorry to hear that.
湯姆:哦。我很抱歉。
so sorry to hear that我很抱歉、I am so sorry.
Ian: It’s alright. He means a lot to me.
伊恩:沒關係。他對我來說很重要。
mean a lot to sb.對某人意義重大
Tom: What about a nice watch? A decent gentleman needs a good watch.
湯姆:漂亮的手錶呢?體面的紳士需要一支好手錶。
watch(n.)手錶decent(adj.)體面的gentleman(n.)紳士
Ian: That’s a good idea.
伊恩:好主意。