
幾百萬人無電可用
Judy and Harry are roommates. They are watching the news on TV in the living room.
茱蒂跟哈利是室友,他們正在客廳裡看電視新聞。
Judy: Oh, no. What happened?
茱蒂:喔不,發生什麼事了?
happen(v.)發生
Harry: Don’t you know about this? Hurricane Irma battered the state of Florida.
哈利:你不知道嗎?颶風艾瑪重創佛羅里達州。
hurricane(n.)颶風batter(v.)猛烈打擊state(n.)州
Judy: That’s terrible! The news is saying that Irma has triggered severe flooding.
茱蒂:那真是太糟了!新聞正在說颶風艾瑪引發了嚴重的水災。
trigger(v.)引發severe(adj.)嚴重的flooding(n.)洪水
Harry: Yeah. Irma flooded many streets and knocked out power for millions of people across the state.
哈利:是啊,艾瑪造成許多街道淹水,還造成國內幾百萬人無電可用。
flood(v.)使⋯⋯淹水street(n.)街道knock out破壞、損壞power(n.)能量million百萬state(n.)州
Judy: It makes me so sad. My family used to live in Florida.
茱蒂:這讓我好難過,我家人以前曾住在佛羅里達。
used to以前曾經⋯⋯live(v.)居住
Harry: I heard that nearly 7 million people in the Southeastern US were warned to evacuate, including 6.4 million in Florida alone.
哈利:我聽說在美國東南部已經有近7百萬人遭警告撤離,其中光佛羅里達就佔了640萬人。
nearly(adv.)將近million百萬warn(v.)警告evacuate(v.)撤離
Judy: Yeah. And some people have said that Florida is like a war zone now.
茱蒂:是啊,有些人還說佛羅里達現在簡直像是戰場。
zone(n.)區域
Harry: I hope all the victims can be treated and find shelters to stay in.
哈利:我希望所有的受災者都能得到治療、找到庇護所。
victim(n.)受害者、災民treat(v.)治療shelter(n.)庇護所
Judy: I’ll keep praying for them.
茱蒂:我會一直為他們祈禱。
keep(v.)持續pray(v.)祈禱,pray for sb為某人祈禱