
讓人崩潰的聲音
Alex and Chester are colleagues. They work at a bar.
艾力克斯和切斯特是同事。他們在酒吧工作。
Chester: What happened? Why do you look so anxious?
切斯特:發生了什麼事?你為什麼看起來這麼焦慮?
anxious(adj.)焦慮的、不安的、擔心的anxiety(n.)焦慮、不安、擔心
Alex: I have misophonia. That guy over there keeps making weird sounds while he is drinking.
艾力克斯:我有恐音症。那邊有位傢伙喝東西時一直發出奇怪的聲音。
weird(adj.)怪異的、不尋常的weirdo(n.)怪人
Chester: Is that a symptom that makes you afraid of something?
切斯特:那是一種會讓你害怕某個東西的症狀嗎?
symptom(n.)症狀、徵兆afraid of sth.(sb.)害怕某人或某物afraid that...恐怕……
Alex: Yes. People with misophonia hate certain sounds so much that they may get uneasy, annoyed or angry when they hear them.
艾力克斯:是的。有恐音症的人非常討厭特定的聲音,以致於當他們聽到這些聲音時可能會感到不安、煩躁或憤怒。
certain(adj.)肯定的、特定的certainly(adv.)肯定地、確實地uneasy(adj.)不安的、焦慮的、擔心的annoyed(adj.)生氣的、惱火的annoying(adj.)令人生氣的、令人惱火的
Chester: So, what kind of sounds do they hate?
切斯特:那他們都討厭哪種聲音呢?
hate(v.)討厭、厭惡hater(n.)攻擊(或辱駡)他人的人
Alex: Good question. They may have problems with certain sounds that humans make. For example, the sound of chewing or someone smacking their lips may drive them crazy.
艾力克斯:好問題。他們可能會對人類發出的某些聲音有意見。例如,咀嚼聲或有人咂嘴唇的聲音都可能把他們逼瘋。
chew(v.)咀嚼、嚼碎smack(v.)打、撞drive sb. crazy逼瘋某人
Chester: Hmm, interesting.
切斯特:嗯,有意思。
Alex: Do you also have misophonia?
艾力克斯:你也有恐音症嗎?
Chester: No, but I’m afraid of heights.
切斯特:不,但我有懼高症。
height(n.)高度weight(n.)重量length(n.)長度
Alex: I thought everyone was like me.
艾力克斯:我以為每個人都像我一樣。
thought(v.)認為、以為
Chester: No. For me, some sounds are not pleasant, but they are still acceptable.
切斯特:不,對我來說,有些聲音不悅耳,但還是可以接受的。
pleasant(adj.)令人愉悅的、宜人的unpleasant(adj.)令人不快的、使人討厭的acceptable(adj.)可接受的unacceptable(adj.)不可接受的
Alex: But for people with misophonia, some sounds can really break them down to the point of wanting to hurt people. They might even have to take medicine for it.
艾力克斯:但對有恐音症的人來說,某些聲音真的會讓他們崩潰,到他們會想要傷害別人的地步。他們甚至可能要為此吃藥。
break sb. down使某人崩潰breakdown(n.)(神經)失常、(精神)崩潰breakup(n.)分手
Chester: Whoa! No wonder you have earplugs with you wherever you go.
切斯特:哇!難怪你到哪裡都帶著耳塞。
wonder(n.)驚訝、驚嘆no wonder難怪