
單身、失業、經濟不穩定
Frank and Colby are friends. They are chatting.
法蘭克和柯比是朋友。他們在聊天。
Frank: Have you seen Laura lately?
法蘭克:你最近有看到蘿拉嗎?
Colby: Actually, no.
柯比:沒有。
Frank: How come? She lives just right across the street from your house.
法蘭克:怎麼會?她不是住在你家對面。
right across the street對街
Colby: She has neither stepped out of the house nor talked to me over the phone for days.
柯比:她好幾天都沒有外出,也沒有跟我講電話。
neither…nor…既不…也不、step out踏出for days好幾天
Frank: Did she break up with her boyfriend? Or, did she get sacked again?
法蘭克:和男朋友分手了?還是又被炒了?
break up分手get sacked=get fired解雇、被炒魷魚
Colby: Honestly, I really don’t know. She did post something on her Instagram with a very negative message last week, saying that she felt alone.
柯比:老實說,我真的不知道。上週她在Instagram上發了一些很負面的訊息,說她覺得很孤單。
negative(adj.)負面的message(n.)訊息
Frank: Oh no! We should check on her!
法蘭克:哦,不!我們應該去看她!
check on關心、確認沒事
Colby: Why? I think we should give her space.
柯比:為什麼?不是應該給她一點空間?
give sb. space給某人空間
Frank: Loneliness can be a serious problem, especially for people like her, who are single, unemployed and financially troubled. Research even shows that loneliness can raise the chance of having heart attacks and strokes.
法蘭克:孤獨感是一個嚴重的問題,尤其是像她這樣單身、失業、經濟不穩定的人來說。研究甚至說孤獨感會提高罹患心臟病和中風的風險。
unemployed(adj.)失業的financially troubled財務上困難、經濟不穩定raise(v.)提高heart attack心臟病、stroke(n.)中風
Colby: I didn’t know it could get this bad. Let’s go to her place now!
柯比:我還真不知道情況可能會變得那麼糟。我們現在就去她家吧!