
助人動機下降
Julian and Rebecca are siblings. They are chatting.
朱利安和瑞貝卡是姐弟。他們正在聊天。
Rebecca: Julian, do you think I am a selfish person?
瑞貝卡:朱利安,你覺得我自私嗎?
Julian: Why are you asking?
朱利安:為什麼這樣問?
Rebecca: I haven’t slept well recently, and I just read a study about the link between sleep and being selfish.
瑞貝卡:我最近沒有睡好,然後我剛剛讀到一篇研究在討論睡眠和自私的關聯。
link(n.)關聯link between A and B表A與B 之間的關聯
Julian: Interesting. What does the study say?
朱利安:真有趣。研究說了什麼?
Rebecca: It shows that sleep affects our mood and social behavior. If someone loses one hour of sleep, their motivation to help other people in need will drop.
瑞貝卡:它表示睡眠影響我們的心情和社交行為。如果有人少睡一個小時,他們幫助有需要的人的動機就會下降。
affect(v.)影響mood(n.)心情in a good mood心情好moody(adj.)心情多變的、喜怒無常的social(adj.)社交的lose(v.)損失、減少motivation(n.)動機in need有困難的、貧困的drop(v.)下降
Julian: How did they prove that?
朱利安:他們怎麼證明的呢?
prove(v.)證明
Rebecca: They found out that in countries that follow daylight saving time, people are less willing to give money to those in need. They also used questionnaires to check levels of selfishness, and they showed that the quality and hours of sleep both affect the results a lot.
瑞貝卡:他們發現在實施夏令時間的國家中,人們比較不樂意捐款給那些需要幫助的人。他們也使用問卷調查自私程度,而結果顯示睡眠品質和時數都有很大的影響。
daylight saving time夏令時間be willing to do sth.樂意做某事questionnaire(n.)問卷level(n.)程度、級別quality(n.)品質result(n.)結果
Julian: Well, that brings something to mind.
朱利安:嗯,那讓我想到一件事。
bring sth. to mind想起或記起某事
Rebecca: What do you mean?
瑞貝卡:什麼意思?
Julian: No wonder you didn’t want to help me clean my room yesterday.
朱利安:難怪你昨天不想幫我打掃房間。
no wonder難怪