
版面上消失的明星
Mina and John are friends. They are chatting.
米娜和約翰是朋友,他們正在聊天。
John: Did you read Justin Bieber’s Instagram post?
約翰:你有讀小賈斯汀的IG貼文嗎?
read- read-read讀post(n.)貼文(v.)張貼、發佈、發表貼文
Mina: No, I haven’t heard about him for a while.
米娜:我有一陣子沒聽說他的消息了。
hear about聽說消息hear of聽說過eg. I’ve never heard of this country before.沒有聽說過這個國家
John: He said he’s been seriously ill with Lyme disease.
約翰:他說他罹患萊姆病,重病很久了。
disease(n.)疾病illness(n.)病痛
Mina: Oh my god. Poor him.
米娜:天啊,他好可憐。
Oh my gosh.poor受格,誰真可憐
John: Turns out he’s been battling the disease for years.
約翰:原來他這些年一直都在和病魔纏鬥。
turn out結果是、原來battle(n.)(v.)戰鬥、奮鬥=fight against
Mina: No wonder he’s been missing from the media.
米娜:難怪他最近都從媒體版面上消失了。
no wonder S. V.難怪miss(v.)錯失、想念miss the chance錯失良機missing(adj.)消失的、失蹤的media(n.)媒體
John: Yeah, it’s been difficult for him. The disease has affected his skin, his energy levels, and even his brain.
約翰:是啊,對抗這個病很不容易,因為他的皮膚、大腦、和體力都會受到影響。
affect(v.)影響effect(n.)效果energy(n.)能源、活力weak(adj.)虛弱的
Mina: So that’s why he received a lot of hateful comments back then.
米娜:剛好就是他受到許多惡意批評的時候。
receive(v.)收到、得到hateful comment惡意評論hater(n.)酸民
John: I remember many people said he looked as if he had been on drugs.
約翰:我記得有很多人說他看起來像是在吸毒。
He looked as if he had been on drugs.與事實相反的假設,前推一個時態It looks as if it’s going to rain.可能發生的結果,時態不改變as if=as though彷彿、似乎drug(n.)藥物、毒品
Mina: Now they know it was quite unfair to say that.
米娜:現在他們知道這麼說很不公平了。
fair(adj.)公平的unfair(adj.)不公平的fairness(n.)公平、公正