
打呼與中風
Lindcy and James are a couple.
琳西跟詹姆斯是夫妻。
James: Hey, honey. I have to tell you something.
詹姆斯:嘿,親愛的,我要告訴你一件事。
Lindcy: What happened? Don’t scare me please.
琳西:怎麼了?拜託不要嚇我。
scare(v.)使驚恐、受驚嚇
James: Recently I have noticed that you snore when you sleep.
詹姆斯:最近我注意到,你睡覺的時候會打呼。
recently(adv.)最近notice(v.)注意snore(v.)打呼
Lindcy: What? Really? How embarrassing!
琳西:什麼?真的嗎?太丟臉了!
embarrassing(adj.)令人感到窘迫的、尷尬的
James: I am not trying to make fun of it. This is serious. Do you know that snoring may be linked to having stroke?
詹姆斯:我不是要取笑你,這很嚴重,你知道打呼可能跟中風有關連嗎?
make fun of嘲笑serious(adj.)嚴重的snore(v.)打呼link(v.)使相關聯stroke(n.)中風
Lindcy: No, I’ve never heard of it.
琳西:不知道,我從來沒聽過。
James: Severe snoring can be a risk factor for stroke because it may cause sleep apnea.
詹姆斯:嚴重的打呼可能是中風的危險因子,因為可能導致睡眠呼吸中止症。
severe(adj.)嚴重的snore(v.)打呼risk(n.)風險、危險factor(n.)因素stroke(n.)中風cause(v.)導致sleep apnea睡眠呼吸中止症
Lindcy: What’s sleep apnea?
琳西:什麼是睡眠呼吸中止症?
sleep apnea睡眠呼吸中止症
James: To make it simple, it’s a symptom that can reduce the amount of oxygen that reaches the brain. This might increase your chances of having a stroke.
詹姆斯:簡單來說,就是一種症狀,會減少腦部氧氣量,這可能增加中風的機會。
symptom(n.)症狀reduce(v.)減少amount(n.)量oxygen(n.)氧氣reach(v.)到達brain(n.)腦部increase(v.)增加chance(n.)機會stroke(n.)中風
Lindcy: What should I do? I wasn’t aware that I had a snoring problem until you told me.
琳西:我該怎麼辦?在你跟我說之前,我從沒注意過我打呼的問題。
aware(adj.)意識到
James: I’ve made an appointment with the doctor. We can meet her tomorrow and see if you need to undergo further checkups.
詹姆斯:我已經約了醫生,明天可以先去找她,看看你需不需要進一步的檢查。
make an appointment預約undergo(v.)經歷further(adv.)進一步地checkup(n.)健康檢查