
明星禍從口出
Bert and Tess are a couple. They are chatting.
伯特和泰絲是一對情侶。他們正在聊天。
Tess: Bert, do you think seafood in Taiwan is expensive?
泰絲:伯特,你覺得台灣的海鮮貴嗎?
Bert: Well, it depends on what kind of seafood and where you eat it. The prices in stir-fried restaurants and fancy restaurants are very different.
伯特:嗯,要看是哪種海鮮還有在哪裡吃的。在熱炒店和在高級餐廳的價格很不一樣。
depend on sth.取決於某事stir-fried restaurant熱炒店fancy(adj.)昂貴的、豪華的fancy hotel高級飯店
Tess: You are right. A celebrity said eating seafood is a luxury in Taiwan, and it has given rise to a debate on the internet.
泰絲:說得對。有一位名人說在台灣吃海鮮是奢侈的,這在網路上引起了一番討論。
celebrity(n.)名人、明星luxury(n.)奢華、奢侈give rise to sth.引起、導致某事debate(n.)(v.)討論、辯論
Bert: I guess many people would disagree, right?
伯特:我猜很多人不同意,對嗎?
disagree(v.)不同意disagree with sth.不同意某事agree(v.)同意
Tess: Yep. But I think maybe it was true for her.
泰絲:是啊。但我想對她來說可能就是這樣。
Bert: Let me Google to check to see if Taiwan’s seafood prices are high.... Wow, look at this chart from “The Global Economy.”
伯特:我來Google看看台灣的海鮮價格是不是真的很高…...。哇,看看這張「全球經濟」提供的圖表。
chart(n.)圖表
Tess: Let me see. It shows that Taiwan’s seafood prices rank 57th among 167 countries around the world.
泰絲:我看看。它說台灣的海鮮價格在全世界167個國家中排名第57。
rank(v.)排名
Bert: And Taiwan’s seafood prices are lower than those of Japan and South Korea, but higher than China’s.
伯特:而且台灣的海鮮價格比日本和南韓的低,不過比中國高。
low-lower-the lowesthigh-higher-the highest
Tess: I see. Well, her words are right to some extent. Why are people angry at her?
泰絲:原來如此。嗯,她在某種程度上沒說錯。為什麼大家對她這麼生氣?
to some extent在某種程度上
Bert: I think people are angry because she said she seldom eats seafood in Taiwan, but her social media pages showed quite the opposite.
伯特:我想人們生氣是因為她說她很少在台灣吃海鮮,但在社群媒體上呈現出來的卻是另外一回事。
seldom(adv.)很少social media社群媒體page(n.)網頁、頁面opposite(n.)反面、相反