
安全第一
Julien: Hey Lauren, did you know that Typhoon Krathon has already made landfall in Taiwan?
朱利安:嘿,蘿倫,你知道山陀兒颱風已經登陸台灣了嗎?
make landfall(颱風、颶風等)登陸
Lauren: Yes. Is today a day off for everyone?
蘿倫:知道。今天大家都有放假嗎?
Julien: No, only Pingtung and Kaohsiung have a day off. The rest of the country is still working.
朱利安:沒有,只有屏東和高雄有放假,其他地方還是要上班。
The rest of….剩下的部分、其餘的
Lauren: Oh, that’s interesting! In Japan, we don’t get days off for typhoons. We just keep working, no matter what.
蘿倫:喔,真有意思!在日本,我們颱風時不會放假。無論怎麼樣,我們就是繼續工作。
no matter what無論發生什麼事
Julien: That sounds hard! But here, it makes sense to take a break. The wind is very strong, and a lot of people ride scooters. It’s too dangerous.
朱利安:那聽起來好辛苦!但在這裡,放假是有道理的。風真的很大,很多人騎機車,太危險了。
make sense有道理、能夠理解scooter(n.)摩托車dangerous(adj.)危險的、不安全的
Lauren: I understand, but closing everything can be bad for businesses. People miss deadlines, and companies lose money. Sometimes, they don’t need to stop everything.
蘿倫:我明白,但是所有地方都休息對生意不好。人們會錯過截止日期,公司也會賠錢。有時候不一定要停下來。
businesses(n.)多個公司、商家(複數)business(n.)公司、業務miss deadlines錯過截止期限
Julien: That’s true, but I think safety is more important. It’s better to stay home for a day than to get hurt.
朱利安:這倒是真的,但我覺得安全更重要。待在家一天比受傷好。
important(adj.)重要的
Lauren: I get that. With the weather here, I think it’s safer to take a day off. Better to be safe than sorry, right?
蘿倫:我能理解。考量到這裡的天氣狀況,我覺得放一天假比較安全。小心一點總是好的,對吧?
safe(adj.)安全的Better to be safe than sorry採取防範措施以免後悔
Julien: Yes, you’re right! Safety should always come first. Let’s hope the storm goes away quickly.
朱利安:是啊,你說得對!安全永遠是第一優先。希望颱風快點過去。
sth. come first某事物優先於其他事物