
學習是一種嗜好
Mark is preparing for his thesis defense. His friend, Elaine, is talking to him.
馬克在準備論文口試。他的朋友伊蓮正在和他聊天。
prepare for為…準備thesis defense論文口試、thesis(n.)論文、essay(n.)課堂論文
Elaine: How’s your thesis going?
伊蓮:論文進展得如何?
Mark: It’s going well. I’ve invited some professors to my thesis defense.
馬克:進行得滿順利的。我已經邀請一些教授來幫我口試了。
invite(v.)邀請professor(n.)教授
Elaine: Let me ask you a question. Have you thought about getting another degree?
伊蓮:我問你喔,你有考慮過再讀一個學位嗎?
question(n.)問題get a degree取得學位
Mark: Hold on. Have you?
馬克:等一下。你有考慮過嗎?
hold on等等
Elaine: I’ve thought about it. You know there’s an Indonesian man who has fourteen degrees, including eleven bachelor’s degrees and three master’s degrees.
伊蓮:我有過呀。你知道有一個印尼人拿了14個學位嗎?他拿了11個學士學位和4個碩士學位。
bachelor′s degree學士學位、master′s degree 碩士學位、PhD degree博士學位=doctoral degree、PhD=doctor of philosophy
Mark: Wow, fourteen degrees! So many! What did he study?
馬克:哇,14個學位2!超多的耶!他拿了哪些學位?
Elaine: He has degrees in literature, computer science, communication, law, industrial engineering, and so on.
伊蓮:他有文學、電腦科學、傳播、法律、工業工程和其它的學位。
literature(n.)文學computer science電腦科學、資訊科學communication傳播law法律industrial engineering工業工程
Mark: He must be really into studying.
馬克:他一定很喜歡學習。
be into sth.很喜歡、投入
Elaine: Yes. He said that it’s like a hobby for him. He enjoys learning and putting theory into practice.
伊蓮:沒錯。他說學習對他來說就是一種嗜好。他是真的享受學習新知,並將理論付諸實現。
hobby(n.)嗜好put sth. into practice付諸實現
Mark: Well, I really envy this guy. Even getting a bachelor’s degree was hard for me.
馬克:嗯,我超羨慕他的。對我來說光拿學士學位就已經夠難了。
envy(v.)羨慕