
二氧化碳引發飢餓感
Emma and Michael are friends. They are buying drinks at a 7-Eleven.
艾瑪和麥可是朋友,他們在7-Eleven買飲料。
Emma: Hey, did you know that drinking Coke Zero can make you gain weight?
艾瑪:嘿,你知道喝零卡可樂會讓你增重嗎?
make(v.)使、讓gain weight增重
Michael: Seriously? I thought it was a healthier choice.
麥可:真的嗎?我還以為那是一個更健康的選擇。
thought為think的過去式
Emma: Turns out, the main ingredient in those sodas can make you feel hungry, just like regular Coke.
艾瑪:事實證明,這類汽水的主要成分會讓你感到飢餓,就像一般的可樂一樣。
ingredient(n.)食材;成分regular(adj.)一般的、經常的、固定的、有規律的
Michael: That’s surprising. I thought they were a good way to avoid extra calories.
麥可:真讓人驚訝。我原以為它們是避免攝取多餘卡路里的好方法。
Emma: Studies show that even without sugar, sodas can increase food intake and make you gain weight. The carbon dioxide in sodas triggers hunger, leading to weight gain.
艾瑪:研究顯示,即使沒有糖分,汽水也會增加食物攝取量,讓你增重。汽水中的二氧化碳會引發飢餓感,導致體重增加。
without(prep.)沒有with(prep.)有increase(v.)(n.)提高、增加food intake食物攝取trigger(v.)引發、誘發、觸發lead to導致=result in
Michael: So, it’s not just about the sugar. Even diet sodas can lead to weight gain.
麥可:所以,不僅僅是糖的問題。連無糖汽水也可能導致體重增加。
diet(n.)節食
Emma: Exactly. In a study with mice, those drinking regular soda weighed more than those having soda without carbon dioxide or water.
艾瑪:正是如此。在一項對白老鼠的研究中,喝一般汽水的白老鼠比喝不含二氧化碳汽水或水的白老鼠體重更重。
mice是mouse的複數weigh(v.)秤(體)重
Michael: Interesting. So, carbon dioxide plays a role in weight gain.
麥可:好有趣。所以二氧化碳會影響增重。
play a role扮演角色;影響
Emma: That’s right. It stimulates hunger hormones, making you eat more and thus gain weight. The same goes for regular and diet sodas.
艾瑪:沒錯。它會刺激飢餓素,讓你吃得更多,因此增加體重。無論是一般的還是無糖汽水都一樣。
stimulate(v.)刺激The same goes for...同樣的道理也適用在...
Michael: Well, thanks for sharing this info, Emma. Maybe I’ll pass on the coke today.
麥可:好的,謝謝你分享這些資訊,艾瑪。也許我今天不喝可樂了。
info=information資訊pass on放棄;不做
Emma: Good for you, Mike.
艾瑪:做得好,麥可。