
吉利數字
Sam and Linda are a couple. They are having a conversation.
山姆和琳達是夫妻。他們正在對話。
Sam: Linda, Chinese New Year is coming. How much money should we put in the red envelope for your mom?
山姆:琳達,過年快到了。我們要包多少錢的紅包給你母親呢?
Linda: Hmm, it depends. In Taiwan, people usually give NT$3,600 or NT$6,000.
琳達:嗯,這要看情況。在台灣,人們通常包三千六或六千元台幣。
It depends看情況It depends on…取決於~usually(adv.)通常、平常always(adv.)常常often(adv.)時常sometimes(adv.)有時rarely(adv.)很少
Sam: Why those numbers?
山姆:為什麼是這些數字?
number(n.)數字、號碼
Linda: They are lucky numbers! “Six” means everything will go well, and “eight” means getting rich.
琳達:因為這是吉利的數字!「六」代表順利,「八」代表發財。
lucky(adj.)幸運的Lucky you!你真幸運!rich(adj.)富有的、富裕的
Sam: I see! What if I give NT$4,000?
山姆:我懂了!那我包四千元台幣可以嗎?
What if…?如果~怎麼辦?
Linda: No way! “Four” sounds like death in Chinese. Never give “four”!
琳達:不行!「四」聽起來像「死」的音,千萬別包「四」!
sound like聽起來像是never(adv.)從不、永不
Sam: Got it! Let’s give NT$8,800.
山姆:了解了!那我們包八千八台幣吧。
Linda: Sounds great! I’m sure mom will love it.
琳達:聽起來不錯!我相信媽會很開心的。
Sam: I hope so! Happy Chinese New Year!
山姆:希望如此!新年快樂!