
可能讓你損失慘重!
Kevin: Hey Emily, I heard about the accident. Are you okay?
凱文:嘿,艾蜜莉,我聽說你出車禍了。妳還好嗎?
hear about…聽說…
Emily: Yeah… I’m fine. Just a bit shaken, you know.
艾蜜莉:嗯⋯⋯我還好啦。只是有點嚇到,你懂的。
a bit一點點=a littleshaken(adj.)震驚的、心神不寧的、不安的
Kevin: Oh man, that’s scary. What happened exactly?
凱文:天啊,好可怕喔。到底發生什麼事?
exactly(adv.) 到底、究竟
Emily: Well… I was driving, and this scooter kind of came out of nowhere. I hit his back wheel.
艾蜜莉:就是⋯⋯我在開車,結果有台機車突然衝出來,我撞到他的後輪。
come out of nowhere突然出現wheel(n.)輪子
Kevin: Wait, did you say that to the police?
凱文:等等,妳跟警察這樣講了嗎?
police(n.)警察、警方report to the police向警方報案
Emily: Uh… yeah. I told them, “I didn’t see him.”
艾蜜莉:嗯⋯⋯對啊。我跟他們說:「我沒看到他。」
Kevin: Oh no, you’re not supposed to say that!
凱文:哎唷,妳不能這樣講啦!
be supposed to VR理應、應該
Emily: Huh? Why not? That’s what happened.
艾蜜莉:蛤?為什麼不行?我就真的沒看到啊。
Kevin: I know, but saying “I didn’t see” makes it sound like you weren’t paying attention. It could bump your fault to like 40%.
凱文:我懂啦,但說「我沒看到」會讓人覺得妳沒注意路況,肇責可能會變成妳40%耶!
pay attention to sth.注意某事bump(v.)使⋯上升、增加、提高
Emily: What? Seriously?
艾蜜莉:什麼?真的假的?
Kevin: Yeah, next time just say something like, “I slowed down, but he came out too fast.” That sounds more careful.
凱文:真的啦,下次妳就說類似「我有減速,但他突然衝出來」這種,聽起來比較謹慎。
speed up加快be careful with…小心某物/be careful about…對⋯謹慎
Emily: Oh… okay. I had no idea.
艾蜜莉:喔⋯⋯好吧。我真的不知道。
Kevin: It’s alright. Just try to stay calm and don’t admit anything too fast.
凱文:沒關係啦。下次記得冷靜一點,不要太快認錯。
stay calm保持冷靜admit(v.)承認/admit+V-ing承認做了某事
Emily: Yeah, lesson learned. Thanks, man.
艾蜜莉:對,學到了。謝啦,老兄。